BBC bias

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by Harry Stottle, May 13, 2019.

1. Harry Stottle

Harry Stottle Screwfix Select

I've been aware for a long time of the BBCs bias to all things left and more recently to remain, but the Andrew Marr show this morning is the worst yet.

Nigel Farage was being interviewed and to his credit stayed calm in the face of Marr's efforts to rake up irrelevant soundbites from years back.

Harry

Baxi Boy likes this.
  2. Muzungu

Muzungu Screwfix Select

I would have to disagree with one of your points there. Regardless of what one thinks of either the BBC or Farage he came across to me as seriously rattled when confronted with some of his past comments. Irrelevant in relation to Brexit maybe, but not as the measure of the man.

3. retiredsparks

retiredsparks Super Member

Mr Farage was not rattled. He was fed up, and said so plainly, with the the idiot left wing BBC puppets trying to besmirch anyone and anything which does not conform to their agenda and cultural and political ideology.
    With the incredible figures now showing for the Brexit Party....surely ANY interviewer would be better served asking questions about that ?
    If the BBC said the sun was going to rise tomorrow....I would not believe them.
    RS

longboat, Baxi Boy, dinkydo and 3 others like this.
  4. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Farage was asked to justify his own words and couldn't.
    The man is a charlatan.

5. Muzungu

Muzungu Screwfix Select

I would agree with you that there is a left wing slant to the BBC, they are also appear to be dumbing down a bit these days. As long as one is aware of that I can't think of any other news organisation that I would trust more, although that may not be saying much.

WillyEckerslike likes this.
  6. Muzungu

Muzungu Screwfix Select

Before making a judgement on any politician regardless of party I ask myself one question. "Do they employ their wife or any near relation on expenses" . If the answer is "yes" they have lost my respect before they open their mouth. If they then talk utter balls it makes no difference to me.

Heat likes this.
  7. Heat

Heat Screwfix Select

I haven’t viewed that interview, so really cannot presently make a comment.
    But I will also agree the BBC are not to be trusted with anything to do with politics, however loosely connected.
    That includes both television and radio BBC programmes and news.
    I am extremely familiar with the lies and propaganda promoted by the BBC and the only thing ever made me sit up and take great interest in their news or a documentary was when they actually told a fully factual and balanced story, on rare occasions.

Last edited: May 13, 2019
  8. Heat

Heat Screwfix Select

Greed in my opinion, but then to be completely fair you must also look at the huge sums being paid to many at the BBC and other media people.
    Often much more than the politician earns

9. Muzungu

Muzungu Screwfix Select

As I said, as long as one is aware of bias, perceived or otherwise, I know of no other news outlet I would trust more (within the limits I stated). The only other broadcast outlet I watch for news is Al Jazeera, but they also have a bias although it is obviously more internationalist than the Uk focused BBC.

Heat likes this.
  10. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Screwfix Select

I dunno, all I have seen on the BBC is b100dy football, a subject in which I have zero interest.

Hans_25 and Baxi Boy like this.
  11. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

Just wait a few more weeks and BBC TV will cease to exist for two weeks with blanket coverage on BBC1 and 2 of tennis ... A subject that I have less than zero interest in. There is probably more tennis shown in those two weeks than league football throughout the year - something like 20 hours per day, or 300 hours total.

WillyEckerslike likes this.
  12. Harry Stottle

I agree with you Bob and Pollo. I can accept broadcasts of the actual games even though tennis, football, horse racing, cricket, snooker and darts have zilch interest for me, some people must like them, it's the time filling pre game rambling and post match analysis that I find particularly irritating, like the weather girls telling us what the weather was like earlier today.

13. pddy95

pddy95 Member

Harry, couldn't agree with you more. I was having the same conversation with somebody today about it. It's not just the bias......It's the lazy journalism and questions. Too many soundbites and quotations with little or no context. The Ben Shapiro and Andrew Neil is worth a watch too (if you've not seen it).

14. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Screwfix Select

Well Harry, just as long as you recognise any bias you can apply a bull241t filter to get near the truth. If you really want right wing bias, try Sky news.

retiredsparks likes this.
  15. Baxi Boy

Baxi Boy Active Member

Marr doesn’t like it that the Brexit party is getting so popular,so he was probably told by his remain BBC bosses to try to discredit Farage with irrelevant questions with no substance.

retiredsparks likes this.
  16. Harry Stottle

Yes BB, you're probably right about that.

17. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Do you mean that Murdoch Media is biased to the right wing and hate Europe, you could never have known.
    You''ll be telling me that the Mail and the Telegraph, both owned by offshore companies, are biased against the EU too.
    And why is that, could it be because the EU is cracking down on big companies tax evasion and isn't as compliant as the Tories to media pressure?

18. ajohn

ajohn Screwfix Select

News can be about what some one has said in relationship to any wing of the political area. What they ask is aimed at good TV not gaining informative information. The other aspect is that we get far too much news and similar programs - it's cheap television. Good news generally isn't of much use - anything bad is also quoting people out of context, that really is common.

Farage - ex commodity trader and well read for yourself.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nigel_Farage

Over all problem really is that due to a number of things that go on these days democracy is a bit of a joke. People can not make sensible decisions in that area without factual information. Often people vote without even being fully aware of what a party intends to do.

:) My understand that the man didn't think we would vote out but sufficient people would enabling him to carry on by trying to get another. Then there are things like cambridge analytica and others. Personally have watched what was going on before the vote I changed my car a little early and saved myself around £2000. Just did it in time.

John
    -

19. ajohn

ajohn Screwfix Select

Brilliant. The EU does worry the USA and some other areas - large enough market to be able to enforce it's own rules if people want to sell there. Also look at airbus and how much market that has taken from the USA, also Eurofighter and the list goes on. :) They are glad actually that lots of different languages are spoken and that plus other factors means it's hard to get it to work all together.

John
    -

20. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

That's why the US and Russia would be happy for the EU to break up so we would be easy picking on our own but the hard of thinking can't see that, they keep reminiscing about the second world war when we had rationing despite ruling a third of the world through our empire.