Becoming a carpenter/joiner at 30

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by jertujm, Jul 10, 2019.

1. jertujm

jertujm New Member

Hi, hope you're all good.

I've been working in offices for about 12 years now and have just hit 30, so I'm desperate for a change of career. I've recently been helping a friend renovate his house (building stud wall frames, boarding floors etc.) and found it really rewarding, so I'm hoping to get into it as a job.

Coming from an office background, my practical skills are limited, but I do seem to be learning and applying the basics quite quickly. With this in mind, I was wondering what the best route might be to doing this as a job.

I'm based in West Yorkshire and have seen a 6-month course at Bradford College that's affordable and looks to be a good introduction to the trade - what do you think? Here's the link: https://www.bradfordcollege.ac.uk/courses/further/carpentryandjoi-sep-2019-0

Thanks

2. sospan

sospan Well-Known Member

If the course is in the evening, it may help you get a position with a full time firm. It is really difficult to change careers especially these days. Hope it goes well for you

3. mr moose

mr moose Active Member

Just go self-employed and start doing work for people! You will learn on the job. If you are reasonably intelligent and good with your hands you will be successful.
    People always need carpenters especially if you are near a large urban area.
    I was in sales for about 8 years couldn't stand it, so glad I made the change at 38 ( I am now in my mid-50's). Since then I have never looked back, fresh air, interesting people, challenging at times, but rewarding.
    It depends on what sort of person you are and how much work/life balance you want. You may find working for yourself quite insecure in the beginning and obviously, it takes time to build a business and develop a good reputation. But it's worth it!

jertujm and ginger tuffs like this.
  4. jertujm

jertujm New Member

Thanks very much for this. Most people I've mentioned it to have been quite pessimistic about the amount of work out there and told me to stay in a secure job, but I can't stand office work anymore! I live in a very densely populated northern city that's not too far from the countryside, so there'll hopefully some opportunities for working in rural areas too. I'm up for the challenge, just need some confidence in my abilities before making the switch.

Glad it's going well for you, by the way. What would you say your most common type of job is (e.g. kitchen fitting, fencing, roofing etc.)?

5. mr moose

mr moose Active Member

I do all types of domestic carpentry but no site work, I also specialize in sash window repair. It is a constant learning process anyway, as you mention confidence is the key but you don't have to be an expert to do a good job, as long as you are thorough in your preparation and research if the job you are doing is new to you.

6. mr moose

mr moose Active Member

Also, I have just moved to a new rural area, after three months I am already picking up lots of work with just a website and an ad in a local mag!

7. HappyHacker

HappyHacker Active Member

If you don't do it you will spend the rest of your life regretting it. If you do it anything can happen. It will be hard work and if you have the right attitude and work ethic you will probably be successful. I would suggest that you need to build up some basic skills while still working and get a toolkit together to enable you to work successfully on a customers premises or on site. Starting out and building up a reputation and customer base is very hard so getting the basics sorted and gaining some experience while still working gives you some breathing room. Do the course or something similar but try to keep your job while doing it. Alternatively try to get a job with a company so you can learn some skills even if it is poorly paid and if you have done the course it indicates a level of commitment and skill level which may make you more employable while you learn.