Bed Mattress

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by masterdiy, Dec 4, 2018 at 10:57 AM.

1. masterdiy

masterdiy Active Member

Guys, after purchasing 2 mattresses in just over 5 years, really need some help/advice.
    New mattress July 2017 lasted only 9 months before we noticed a well developing on both sides of the bed, with a distinct firm ridge forming in the center. Mattress is turned regularly, not turned over as it has a memory foam topper built in.
    In short, bed retailer & bed manufacturer don't want to know.

Its got so bad, that now we are sleeping in the spare room, that has an old style mattress.

So, what have you got, & how happy are you with it.

2. KIAB

KIAB Well-Known Member

Get yourself a Pocket Sprung mattress, spring count varies,far superior, whole matress moves with you.
    Each spring is sown into it's own fabric pocket, unlike a normal spring mattress, as for topper,wool mattress topper,is better than memory foam.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2018 at 11:28 AM
  3. retiredsparks

retiredsparks Well-Known Member

How heavy are you.
    Like soft or hard ?
    memory foam and foam toppers makes you sweat.
    We have a Vispring, rolls royce of beds.
    2 grand 18 years ago.
    Still in superb condition.
    Unless you chose something like Vispring you cannot compare other high street beds as they get them made for a price to suit profit margins.
    If you go for Vispring you can compere prices as the specs per model are the same.
    It was chesaper for us to go to DH Evans in London and get delivered 140 miles than to use the local bed companies (rip off merchants)
    We eventually got it in Birminham cheaper than anywhere else.
    Hope this helps.
    It works out at about 30p per night for a decent sleep on a good bed.
    Rs

KIAB likes this.
  4. KIAB

KIAB Well-Known Member

A friend bought a pocket sprung mattress from Hypnos Beds, same firm that supplies Travel Lodge, Premier Inn & other hotels with their pocket sprung mattresses & beds.
    They have 2 showrooms in the UK, Princes Risborough & Castle Donington.

https://www.hypnosbeds.com/uk/our-beds

5. masterdiy

masterdiy Active Member

Ours, is a sprung mattress, 1500 pocket springs encapsulated in foam, & yes makes one very warm. (Was not a cheap mattress. Approx £650 July 2017)

My weight 78 Kg Misses 66Kg.
    We don't seem to like this soft, molds to your body stuff as it softens too much over time.
    Hotel last week had a bed made for them, was very firm & loved it. So it seems we like medium firm.

Anyone tried this Emma mattress, 100 day trial, money back?

We tried to test a mattress in Bed Store but told we could not stay longer than closing time....
    So how can one test a mattress in a shop for more than 10 minuets?

It seems its a mine field out there when it comes to things like this.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2018 at 11:54 AM
  6. KIAB

KIAB Well-Known Member

Really need to see & try a mattress before buying with pocket sprung,as they vary widely in firmness dues to springs,etc, & between brands.
    Got one here & it's classed as medium firm,with wool topper, & it's support is just right.

7. b4xtr

b4xtr Active Member

Have you tried a waterbed ?
    Weve had them for about 15 years and not looked back

masterdiy likes this.
  8. masterdiy

masterdiy Active Member

b4xtr, Hi & yes, we had a water bed for some 10 years.
    We even moved & took the bed with us, it was great.
    We got to the stage where we needed a new bed bag, quite expensive.
    So then we got a dual mattress bed.

If they weren't so expensive I think we would go back to one.

9. b4xtr

b4xtr Active Member

tis true, they are expensive, although every ten years or so not so bad

10. retiredsparks

retiredsparks Well-Known Member

Always have a good bed, good shoes and a good woman.
    You are always in one during 24 hours.
    All three at once if you get lucky...;)
    Rs

masterdiy likes this.
  11. jimoz

jimoz Active Member

Got a Casper. Came with no quibble trial period but was good for me. Around 500 from memory

12. Peter208

Peter208 Active Member

Make no mistake, a quality mattress is not cheap.
    Pocket sprung and lambs wool made by Relyon . Takes two strong people to flip it once a year but so worth the money .

retiredsparks and KIAB like this.
  13. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Well-Known Member

If this latest mattress has only lasted some 9months before a dip developing and ridges, don’t take the retailers and manufacturers s hit and demand a refund / replacement

It’s clearly not fit for purpose and has become unusable in a very short period of time

I’m sure you’ve tried this route but they’re clearly fobbed you off and you’ve given up

Name and shame, go to citizens advice, speak to manager / director at both supplier and manufacturer- don’t waste ur breath speaking to the minions, they have no authority

Also did you pay by credit card ?

Many card providers will take up your case if you’ve paid on their card for sub standard goods, especially if within warranty period

The mattress must of had a warranty period of x years ?

Clearly the construction has failed

No offence to you really as we don’t have the full background but don’t accept this sub standard junk

Take your complaint further
    Takes time, energy, guts and determination but it’s your hard earned cash, wasted after just 9 months

I wouldn’t accept that...... and as for my Mrs ......... no way on earth

retiredsparks, masterdiy and KIAB like this.
  14. chippie244

chippie244 Well-Known Member

How long have you and your partner been together?

DIY womble likes this.
  15. masterdiy

masterdiy Active Member

49 years chippie

Ps, good points DIY Dave.

Already spent to long with these people, both supplier & manufactures, who just dont give a dam.

16. chippie244

chippie244 Well-Known Member

Not newly weds then, as Dave says send it back, goods are supposed to last a certain time and if they don't then they have to be repaired or replaced, I can't see it being worthwhile repairing a mattress.
    Your contract is with the retailer not the manufacturer so the onus is on them to sort it out.
    Have a look at the Sale of Goods Act and then read the shop the riot act.

DIYDave. and masterdiy like this.
  17. Jitender

Jitender Well-Known Member

When I was small my dad worked in a plastics factory and he got a bed and mattress cheap, the bed was plastic frame, but very solid.

I remember the mattress being very comfy always remember this :) as always like jumping into it. I think it was made by Dunlop? who are know to make trainers and boots.

18. CraigMcK

CraigMcK Well-Known Member

I've got a hypnos mattress, one of the best I've ever slept in.
    We did have one with a memory foam topper and it developed a ridge in the middle. I'm fairly certain the foam stretched a but and the hump in the middle was due to it having nowhere to go at the sides.
    Personally I would not get a memory foam mattress again, too warm for my taste.

Regards Dunlop, yes probably was, they had the Dunlopillo brand. Very expensive foam pillow

KIAB likes this.
  19. Harry Stottle

Harry Stottle Active Member

Gentlemen should always keep their socks on when performing.

20. teabreak

teabreak Well-Known Member

Not a fan of foam in mattresses we like an electric blanket but were advised by a couple of retailers that in time it degrades the foam.
    Our old Dual sprung (medium one side soft the other) Vi-spring one finally gave up after many years.
    We finally bought one of these. https://www.sussexbedcentre.co.uk/shop/m-m-mattresses/46-double-knightsbridge-10800-mattress/
    They made up the medium / soft (they call it gentle:rolleyes:) in a 4' 6" as a special order, so far the only complaint was from the poor sods that had to carry it up our stairs! No foam, all traditional construction with a summer / winter side too.;)