Bedec Barn Paint v Dulux Weathershield

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Fineartist, Jul 31, 2020.

1. Fineartist

Fineartist New Member

Having now decided to use an exterior water based paint for the tongue and groove studio, I have reached a point where I need some additional advice on choosing the right paint for the right job. The building faces open farmland and is exposed to extremes of weather. Heat is probably the worst, with some knots on the south side building still oozing resin after 13 years. These will be fixed with a heat gun and shellac prior to painting.
    I would like to use Bedec Barn Paint 'Forest Green' in a satin finish. The Bedec colour ranges are limited and some suppliers do not have satin in stock, just semi gloss.
    The other choice would be Dulux Weathershield. Any ideas out there as to which one of those two brands would perform the best?!
    Area to cover is approx 50 sq metres. Would 5L be enough for two coats of paint? As you can probably tell, my knowledge of housepainting is pretty basic...

2. Astramax

Astramax Screwfix Select

Bedec semi gloss will be fine, only white and black that are available in the full finish range (satin, semi gloss or matt), coverage for Barn paint is 15 sq metres per litre, Dulux Weathershield Satin for wood is equally as good therefore both will perform in much the same way.

Fineartist likes this.
  3. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Shellac outside o_O no. It's interior only other than spot priming. Did you spot prime?

Fineartist likes this.
  4. Astramax

Astramax Screwfix Select

I understand the op is going to use BIN for spot priming so will be fine to use it on the exterior.

Wayners likes this.
  5. Fineartist

Fineartist New Member

Bedec semi gloss is far too shiny, so may have to go for Dulux Weathershield instead.
    I have Zinsser Bin but it’s white. Can it be tinted?

6. Astramax

Astramax Screwfix Select

Yes it can but may prolong the drying time.