Bedroom Lighting Circuit Stopped Working

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Bodmatt1, Sep 27, 2021.

1. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

He does tell us the switch is new Steve.

sparky steve likes this.
  2. Bodmatt1

Bodmatt1 New Member

Correct. I am out of my depth. Thats why I am on here asking these questions. I didn't attempt to put any wiring into the house. I bought it like this. I am trying to diagnose a fault WITHOUT killing myself!! I'm not in the habit of prodding around and messing around with electrics. Its definitely one for the professionals. But if its a simple problem that I could fix then I would be happy to give it a go.

One simple question is, should there be a current running through the earth cable? If the answer is a definite no, then I will call in an electrician to sort it out, because that means there is something fundamentally wrong in the wiring. If the answer is not normally and the earth cable is doing its job, same response.

None of the RCD's are tripping in its current state. All other electrical circuits in the house and the lights on the same circuit are all operating normally.

3. sparky steve

sparky steve Screwfix Select

Cheers terry:) missed that:oops::D

4. Bazza-spark

Bazza-spark Screwfix Select

Like I said, there is no current running through the earth wire. As @terrymac says, you are probably detecting an induced voltage which may mean the other end of the earth wire is not connected to anything.

This is a job for a pro.

Bodmatt1 likes this.
  5. Bodmatt1

Bodmatt1 New Member

Thanks all. Will call someone in to look at it. Sounds like its not a simple problem like a knackered switch. Appreciate you taking the time to look and respond.

Cheers.

6. Bazza-spark

Well done, good decision.

7. Bazza-spark

You can ask him to show you what the problem is and give you advice on fault finding for the future.

8. candoabitofmoststuff

candoabitofmoststuff Screwfix Select

But that is what you are doing!
    It's a good shout to get someone in. Well done.
    Cando

9. bright_Spark

bright_Spark Screwfix Select

Sounds very much like you have a boken wire and that earth could very well suddenly become live. You made the right choice to get a sparks involved.. This is not something you as a DIY person should attempt to fix.