Beech kitchen worktop colour... help!

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by smoothbadger, Apr 4, 2008.

1. smoothbadger

smoothbadger New Member

Hi there, we recently bought some worktops from Howdens. We have oiled it about 3-4 times using the oil they supplied but it hasn't really gone as dark as we had hoped. Are there different colours (pref darker) that we can achieve using different oils? If so would be graretful if you could point us in the right direction. Thanks very much

2. enjay

enjay New Member

Worktop oils are meant to be clear to show the nautural colours of the wood, You would need to stain the wood to darken it. This would really eed to be done bfore the oil goes on, not even sure if it's a good idea, maybe someone else knows more, but usually you buy the worktop in the coulor you want to achieve, there are lot's of different timbers available. Howdensdo an Iroko worktop, you may have been better to pick this as it's naturally darker.

3. RK Joiner

RK Joiner New Member

I wouldn't go staining a worktop prior to oiling as the oil is meant to be penetrative and if the stains the bit thats done the penetrating then the oil might be comprimised, beech is alway's naturally light and airy... thus enjay is spot on about the worktop base material giving you the range of shades for the end finish.

4. audi-evo

audi-evo Active Member

badger,
    as all know on here i fit flooring.
    beech has always been a bit more of a headache than oak etc.
    The customer picks the nice dark, well beech colour, however when the flooring arrives it is almost always very light (once so light i thought the had supplied maple instead of beech).
    The beech takes months to darken to it's "proper" colour and i have been known to wait for a month to let the customer see the darkening process before collecting a portion of the bill.
    It will naturally darken but takes time.