Beginner help (2x4 wooden shelves against a single skin brick garage wall)

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by nik2021, Feb 23, 2021.

1. nik2021

nik2021 New Member

Hi everyone

I could do with some advice on a project that I'm looking to do in my garage. I'd like to build some wooden shelves in my garage against a single skin brick wall using several 2x4's. My plan is as follows:

1. Attach 3 separate 2x4's horizontally (each 2.4m long) against the brick wall spaced apart depending on height of shelving required. Use a hammer drill and the screws in link below to fix the 2x4's to the wall. The brick is 100mm deep and the screws are 75mm deep.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/easydriv...VYIBQBh1Gvg5xEAQYASABEgK2nvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

2. To the 2x4's attached in step 1, I'll attach some more timber at right angles (spaced 0.6m apart using pocket hole jig to drill into and then drilling in screws). To the other end I'll attach more 2x4s to create the floating frame and then Ill attach 3 2x4's vertically (1.2m apart) to create more support.

3. Finally I'll fix in some shelves.

Questions I could really do with some help on:
    Q1: I've never drilled/attached to a brick wall. By my calculations given the depth of the timber the screw will go around 37mm into the brick. Is this deep enough or shall I go for deeper screws?

Q2: Once the screw depth is finalised should I drill a hole to the same depth and width that the screw will sit in or any less? any recommendations on attachments to use?

Q3: Should I use an impact driver when fixing the 2x4's to the brick?

Thanks!