Belfast sink

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by joiner1959, Oct 20, 2010.

1. joiner1959

joiner1959 Active Member

Doing some renovation work for a customer who has asked me to alter his kitchen units to accommodate a Belfast sink. Solid wood worktops so not much of a problem there. Question is do these sinks sit on a purpose built base or are there commercially available units. Sink is about 15 inches deep.(ugly bloody thing he found at the tip)This wont replace the existing sink but will be an addition.
    Don't really want to do this but said I would give him a price as he's a good customer.
    Thanks chaps.

2. snezza30

snezza30 Member

Joiner, as all the Belfast/Butler sinks are different shapes and sizes, there is'nt a standard bracket as you asked.
    If you have got to modify one of the customers existing units, my tip would be to build a frame out of 50mmx50mm PT timber to carry the sink. If you have got any spare bits of wooden worktop, try fitting them as filler panels at each side and below the sink. It hides the unsightly gaps that are normally left due to the fact that nearly all Butler/Belfast sinks are not parallel.

3. russ295

russ295 New Member

Unless you can remove the tops run a mile, to make a good job you will have to cut it out with a router and fit drip grove underneath. You can get Belfast units that has a door fitted but you will have to check for a match with existing doors. Also if your removing an existing unit(600mm) the sides of the adjacent units will be visible and if they aren't colour matched it will show.

4. big all

big all Screwfix Select

you wont be able to cut a capillary groove underneath unless you have the router base plus baton width on all 3 edges to allow you to get into the corners

big all

5. joiner1959

joiner1959 Active Member

Thanks for the info. Fortunatly the guys wife isnt keen on the idea and doesn't want it done as the kitchen is less than a year old and is happy with it as it is. Sink will now become a garden feature! Suits me.
    cheers all.

6. big all

big all Screwfix Select

""phew"
    lucky escape :D:D:D:D;)

big all