Bell transformer install for smart doorbell

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Ams_19, Jul 11, 2019.

1. Ams_19

Ams_19 New Member

Hi All,

I recently obtained a Nest Hello smart doorbell, and i will be trying to install it this weekend. Currently I have a battery powered Byron push button doorbell with chime, and so I know i need to add a transformer. I cant use a plug transfer like those on Amazon, as I don't have a free socket near enough to make it work.

I'm looking to install a transformer like https://www.screwfix.com/p/british-general-8-24v-8-va-bell-transformer-module/8707p. However, I don't have a free MCB or space in the consumer unit to add another. Any tips or suggestions?

2. GeordieKev

GeordieKev New Member

If you have no room to go into the CU, then your only option is to spur off. Can you run a cable from a socket into a seal box to house the transformer in?

3. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

Buy a different bell transformer. The one you have linked to needs an enclosure or a suitable DIN mount.

There’s lots that are made as surface mount. Like this one

Make sure you get the correct voltage!

4. Ams_19

Ams_19 New Member

so my consumer unit is in a cupboard by the front door, i was planning to fit the transformer in there. I believe I need at least a transformer capable of 12v or 16v. So i was leaning towards the unit i linked earlier with something like https://www.screwfix.com/p/wylex-ese2-ip40-2-module-unpopulated-din-enclosure/32311

my issue is more what my options are for wiring it from the consumer unit. There isn't a socket close enough for me to spur.

5. Tony Goddard

Tony Goddard Screwfix Select

Wire it into a lighting circuit 6A breaker with 1.0mm T&E, you probably won't need to earth the transformer (a lot now don't have an earth tag), but you should still connect the earth in the consumer unit and dead dress it in the enclosure with the transformer

6. peter palmer

peter palmer Screwfix Select

We used to wire bell transformers from a 5A fuse/6A MCB then through a 1 gang light switch for isolation.

7. Tony Goddard

Tony Goddard Screwfix Select

I've alaways used clock connectors (the little MK surface mount ones) for that, 1 or 2A protection is ideal for the transformer