Bench/Pillar Drill Recommendations

Discussion in 'Tool Talk' started by mafalus, Sep 10, 2017.

1. mafalus

mafalus Member

2. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Have you looked at the Clarke bench drills?

3. mafalus

mafalus Member

Hi Wayners. I have looked at them but not sure how good they are, would you recommend them, if so I can pick one up at Machine Mart

4. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

My mates dad is a retired mechanic and he has one. All be it quite a few years old. Go have a look and a chat with the staff. See what you think. They should be able to advise which will do what you want plus you can always go away and have a think about it. Tools like this you really need to be able to see it first I think.

5. mafalus

mafalus Member

Thanks Wayners. Really good advice, I'll take a trip to my local supplier and take a look.
    Regards

6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

I have a 12 speed bench drill with 1" chuck, got it off Ebay for £10, been brilliant.

7. mafalus

mafalus Member

Wow, what a bargain. What brand is it?

8. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

I will go & have a nosey.

It's Clarke,industrial version, wish it was a floor standing model, & not bench mounted.

Doesn't get use much, as lack space until new workshop is built, but last job I used a 25mm blacksmith bit to put some holes through some 8mm flat bar.

A lot of the time with a bench drill, you need the lower speeds more, than the high speeds.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2017
  9. mafalus

mafalus Member

Well thank you guys. I'll take a look at Clarke drills both in store and Ebay. Do you have any thoughts on the drill stand I posted a link for?

10. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Last edited: Sep 10, 2017
  11. mafalus

mafalus Member

I'll be drilling mainly wood with the occasional metal (steel, aluminium).
    Thanks for the link, I just can't seem to get the same results on Ebay as you, guess I'm still learning how to search on there.
    Many thanks guys

12. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

13. mafalus

mafalus Member

Thanks again guys, these forums are brilliant. Now I know why I joined.
    Kind regards to you