Benchmark Logbook not completed

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by DavidPh, Feb 20, 2022.

1. DavidPh

DavidPh New Member

We've just had a new boiler fitted and the gas safe cert has been issued. However, the installer was refusing to give us the benchmark logbook and warranty until we pay in full. The paying in full unfortunately includes variations he had said were included in the price, but now he wants to charge us for.

I've just discovered the logbook stuffed down the back of the boiler cupboard and it's not been completed. We managed to register the boiler guarantee just in time for the 30 days although we didn't seem to get a confirmation number for some reason (I do have a screenshot saying it's registered).

So if we have the benchmark logbook I assume that means that whilst they said they would give it to us once we pay, they can't as they don't have it? And as they hadn't registered the warranty again I assume they cannot produce this. This feels like we are being taken for a ride? How important is the completed logbook?

2. sparky steve

sparky steve Screwfix Select

I’m an electrician not a gas engineer. However as i understand the Benchmark Checklist will be required for warranty purposes.

If the engineer has not completed the Benchmark checklist correctly for a gas boiler installation, your warranty will not be valid. (That is my understanding). Hopefuly an experienced forum member will expand on this.

DavidPh likes this.
  3. DavidPh

DavidPh New Member

Thanks I think so too. I am quite convinced he doesn’t have it so I’ll pay him and never get it. I’m going to try to speak to valiant this week. I thinking it would be a reasonable compromise for him to provide evidence he has it before we pay? Then we can be sure it exists but we don’t get it until we’ve paid?

he’s also put on our EIC that we refused SPD but it was never discussed. I’m not sure we need it but the wording worries me!

4. jonathanc

jonathanc Guest

see here

https://www.benchmark.org.uk/about/do-i-need-benchmark

you are paying for a boiler to be installed in accordance with building regs. i suggest you pay the original fee excluding extras and request the certificate. if it is not forthcoming a) contact gas safe b) get another engineer to inspect according to building regs and recover the costs from the first engineer via court

5. DavidPh

DavidPh New Member

Thanks. We will do that if we have to. They have also damaged our property so we are waiting to confirm final costs before paying the final balance minus retainer for damage. (They are refusing to resolve the damage). If I hadn’t intervened we wouldn’t have a warranty at all as it is now too late to register. This obviously makes me very suspiscious of them. Of course I’d prefer not to have to go to court, so I’m just trying to understand implications etc.