Bending/Welding Scaffold Tubes

Discussion in 'Other Trades Talk' started by Tony R, Mar 20, 2006.

1. Tony R

Tony R New Member

I want to bend about 1 metre of a 4 metre Scaffold Tube to an angle of about 80 degrees and then weld a strengthening piece across the angle. I have an arc welder. Can I use ordinary rods or do I need special ones?. What is the best way to bend them. Hire a bender (hydraulic?) Any tips gratefully received

2. Hitch.

Hitch. New Member

Is that 80deg under or over?

Rather than hire a bender is it an option to cut a mitre on it and weld up the joint, linished off if it needs to look good.

As for the welding, your bog standard rod will be fine. Probably a 2.5mm?

3. Ken.L.Worth

Ken.L.Worth New Member

If it's galvanised you're in tricky territory, health&safety wise.

If someone were to do it ( ;) ) they'd need to at least grind off all the plating local to the weld area, the zinc fumes are pretty unhealthy!

4. Hitch.

Hitch. New Member

5. Markybob

Markybob New Member

Ware one whilst grinding it off as well,also not adisable to eat the stuff :)

6. Tony R

Tony R New Member

Thanks for the replies. Its to go on a boat trailer to hold the boat steady when its being recovered. It bolts on to the trailer with an 'arm' going up each side of the boat. I saw one a few weeks ago and the tubing was bent and it seemed a realy good job. The bending of it seemed to give it more stength or 'spring' to it - may have been my imagination of course. Re. the welding, a friend of mine says he thinks you need special rods because its high-tensile steel?

7. SDSMax

SDSMax New Member

I do arc welding myself and you only need special electrodes (rods) when welding Stainless Steel, in your case standard electrodes will do the job.

8. Hitch.

Hitch. New Member

As far as i am aware, standard 48.3x4 scaffold tube is 'normal' steel.

Some tower systems are however a higher grade steel.

Just go for a general purpose mild steel rod.

9. Seismic gunner

Seismic gunner New Member

10. Tony R

Tony R New Member

Thanks to all who replied. I'm going to go with the cut & weld idea rather than the bending.