Best adhesive for solid oak, ash & beech

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by busy builder, Jan 6, 2010.

1. busy builder

busy builder New Member

I'm making some mirror surrounds from oak, ash and beech. All 25mm thick by 120mm boards, I need to glue and clamp 2 boards together so I can route out a to drop the mirror into.
    Problem I have is the glue, I know if I use ordinary PVA wood glue I'll get a dark line at the joint which I don't want.
    So whats the best glue to use,preferably usable with biscuits, that will be invisible even when oiled.
    Thanks.

2. joinerjohn

joinerjohn New Member

Titebond Aliphatic resin glue would be a good choice. :)

3. busy builder

busy builder New Member

Cheers I'll track some down.

4. I would use Cascamite, a powder urea formaldehyde adhesive, simply mix with water and apply.

No issues with black glue lines.

Works particularly well with oak and ash, which are open grained. No problem with beech.

First search on Google came up with this:

http://www.agwoodcare.co.uk/gbu0-prodshow/resinmite.html?gclid=CIKPjYDqkZ8CFY8A4wodjDsmJw

Our hosts don't seem to stock it.

Make sure that you alternate the heart side of the timber, heart up then heart down.

5. hab

hab New Member

Cascamite has had a couple of re-namings over the last few years - it is now called "Polymite" but was previously called "Extramite". I have no idea why this process was thought to be a good idea !

Best regards, Hab

6. tiredman

tiredman New Member

rutlands mail order sell the whole titebond range