Best bar valve fitting to use

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by markh1, Aug 2, 2018.

1. markh1

markh1 Member

52D1DE67-CEB2-4DE0-99E2-A7D4B405FC51.jpeg Ive had first fix done with pipes at 150mm centres, and got to board and tile. I have a Mira atom ERD bar valve shower to install. It came with those silly z connectors. I was initially going to buy the Bristan fixing kit 10 but I know this means making sure the pipes are dead 150mm after tiling and ensuring enough tile round the pipe to drill and secure the brackets.

I then spotted the marflow pl8 and as my board hasn’t been put up yet I though this may make installing the shower easier. What I wanted to know is if I install the pl8 what do I use after the tiles are on to install the bar valve? I can’t use the bristan fixing kit as I couldn’t fix any plugs through as would hit the metal plate of the pl8 but also seems pointless. I want the covers to go over the pipe on the tile so need something that puts the right Male connection on the pipe with thread to add the covers/caps to be screwed over before connecting up the bar valve, in the same way the bristan fixing kit 10 does.

I also read a couple of people on the forum mention the pl8’s are no good as the bar valve is supported by the the copper pipe only.

Any better solutions, or should I just stick to the fixing kit 10? want to get it right and sorted before the plasterer comes in a week to board the room. Thanks (pic is side on, pipes are level!)

2. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Ditch the pipe clips in their current location and either fit them on the vertical run, or better still, notch and screw some of your stud material where your pipe clips are now. Do this so there is a couple of mm jiggle.
    Board, tile (leaving a bit of wind around the pipes), then use the Bristan mounts.
    You'll only need to drill through the tile as you'll have wood to fix too.

3. markh1

markh1 Member

Thanks CGN, yeah I wasn’t sure why the plumber didn’t do something similar with the stud, such as drill a hole through and put pipes through rather than placing on top, will place another notched stud on top as you say. I assume I can connect up before securing the bristan back plates to ensure 150centres as I’m guessing even 1mm out and the threads on the valve won’t connect up properly.

4. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Just set your pipes up so when they come through the tiles, you have a bit of movement. It does need to be pretty much spot on, when you come to fix the mounts, but there is a little tolerance.