Best Boiler

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by paul1955, Oct 11, 2018.

1. paul1955

paul1955 New Member

Hi all looking for opinions on which boiler to have fitted. I believe the
    best choices to be between Worcester and Baxi. So what are your
    opinions. If you were fitting one in your own house what would you
    go for. Thanks

2. furious_customer

furious_customer Active Member

I have a glow-worm ultimate 2 which is think is a good trade off between price and quality as it is manufactured by Vailiant.

3. furious_customer

furious_customer Active Member

I kept hearing that Wocester's were ultra-reliable and parts were super-cheap, but out of all the folk I know those with WB's seem to fail just as often as those without.

4. Hans_25

Hans_25 Member

WB have a 7 year guarantee, extended to 10 years if also fitted with their system filter. Vaillant, Intergas very good too. Consider who is going to be servicing the boiler and what they recommend.

5. The Teach

The Teach Well-Known Member

paul1955.good question :)

returning the question,how long do you expect the new gas boiler to last before renewal is the only option ?

6. rogerk101

rogerk101 Well-Known Member

Worcester-Bosch for me. Installed by a W-B registered installer, and serviced annually by a W-B registered serviceman.

7. Hans_25

Hans_25 Member

What advantage does that have, rather just using a qualified, gas safe etc plumber?

8. rogerk101

rogerk101 Well-Known Member

As stated above, it extends the warranty. Using their registered people gets you a longer warranty period.

9. Hans_25

Hans_25 Member

OK I misread the blurb, standard guarantee is 5 years + 1 if fitted with filter, moves to 7(+1) if installed by registered fitter, although 10 years is possible somehow:

"We offer an exclusive 10 year guarantee to customers who choose a local Worcester Bosch Accredited Installer to install their boiler along with a Worcester Bosch Greenstar system filter. We make this a requirement of our 10 year guarantees as we know that adding a system filter can prevent significant damage caused by dirt and debris such as rust, which builds up in your central heating system over time."

10. The Teach

Hans_25,what is the life cycle cost of the gas boiler your looking at ?

11. Hans_25

Hans_25 Member

I'm not looking at a boiler. I have one (a WB actually), it gets serviced, it works.

12. The Teach

Their products vary in quality & longevity but the attached badge on their appliances are the same,some people like to buy badges :(

13. Hans_25

Hans_25 Member

My boiler came with the house, although a friend just had a small WB boiler fitted as it was the only model that would fit in the small space (12Ri). The plumber only fits WB and Intergas, usually the latter.

14. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Well-Known Member

Not a massive Worcester fan, they are of a poor finish and one of the biggest complaints is installers cutting their hands on them. They can also be a pain to work on for a breakdown or repair. Having said that they are a good reliable boiler.
    Vaillant are also a good make, particularly the EcoTEC range but the budget Eco Fit pure has proved to be a reliable model.
    Ideal have improved over the years and offer a good warranty as have Baxi

15. KIAB

KIAB Well-Known Member

Like my Vaillant, had various models over the last 20 years or so, never had one break down.
    Present 824 is just over 10 years old,only had a new heat exchanger in all that time.