Best DIY tool or method to create a flat face on a needle roller bearing ?

Discussion in 'Engineers' Talk' started by free_flyer, May 27, 2022.

1. free_flyer

free_flyer Member

Because 3 flat faces are required - read my explanation below (or watch the explanation in the video about how a magnetic switch works):
    • The red colour shows the bearing is magnetised with the south pole of the magnet
    • The blue colour shows the bearing is magnetised with the north pole of the magnet
    To turn the magnet switch on, the bottom set of magnets are moved so that the magnetic fields repel the top set of magnets - this holds the steel plate in place...

upload_2022-6-1_21-0-54.png

To turn the magnet switch off, the bottom set of magnets are moved so that the magnetic fields attract with the top set of magnets - this allows the steel plate to come away (because the magnetic fields are effectively short circuited)...

upload_2022-6-1_20-45-2.png

• One flat face is needed where the magnets make contact with the bearings for the magnetic fields to flow efficiently (i.e. no air gap)
    • The other flat faces are needed for the magnetic fields to flow efficiently (i.e. no air gap)
      • These flat faces also allow the bottom and top sets to move with minimum friction

Its the same principle of how magnetic switches in instruments like DTIs (dial test indicators), but my design is just in a different layout

upload_2022-6-1_20-50-38.png

Attached Files:

2. MRY

MRY Screwfix Select

Can you actually use magnetic cubes?

3. free_flyer

free_flyer Member

The magnets can be cube shape, but its the 'poles' I am struggling with.

Magnetic switches require two parts - the magnets themselves AND the 'poles' which are the steel parts - these cannot be magnets but must but a ferromagnetic material such as steel.

For the poles I tried using square rod cut into cubes and also needle roller bearings. The prototype I made using needle roller bearings works, BUT I need to use smaller magnets and poles (to make the packaging smaller) but because of the air gap the holding force will be far too low.

Its the poles (i.e. steel parts) I am struggling with, as I cant find any thing off the shelf so they have to be made. Outsourcing custom made parts is very expensive which I am even more reluctant to do as I need to test a prototype to see how well it works first.

Theres also the issue of holding the poles (steel parts) in the casing, otherwise the magnetic force will pull them out (the casing will be a 3D printed part).

Gluing them in the casing is not ideal, but if I can use the spherical bearings and split the casing into two halves which is then screwed together (as shown in my earlier post), then the poles will stay in place.

Abbadon2001 likes this.
  4. hui du

hui du New Member

嗨,谢谢你的分享,我想知道,你为什么不找一个专业的 95BNR10HTDUELP4Y 产品,用微型尺子测量一下,不是更直观吗?https://en.tradebearings.com/95BNR10HTDUELP4Y-555457.html 他家的产品我用过效果比较好,没有出过错。双列圆柱滚子轴承,成对单列圆柱滚子轴承,单列圆锥滚子轴承,单列圆锥滚子轴承。单元轴承单元密封完整,出厂安装前已加注润滑脂并调整游隙,整体单元设计便于轴承的安装和拆卸,轴承采用冷压安装方式压在轴颈上。我是一个爱分享的博主,希望和大家一起探讨专业知识

5. hui du

hui du New Member

Hi, thank you for sharing, I want to know, why don't you find a professional 95BNR10HTDUELP4Y product, measure it with a miniature ruler, isn't it more intuitive? https://en.tradebearings.com/95BNR10HTDUELP4Y-555457.html I have used his products with good results, and there is no mistake. Double row cylindrical roller bearings, paired single row cylindrical roller bearings, single row tapered roller bearings, single row tapered roller bearings. The unit bearing unit is completely sealed, grease has been filled and clearance adjusted before factory installation, the overall unit design is convenient for bearing installation and disassembly, and the bearing is pressed on the journal by cold pressing installation. I am a blogger who loves to share and would like to discuss expertise with you

6. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Screwfix Select

This is an old post.

7. hui du

hui du New Member

Machine based water treatment chemicals hedp should be more popular