Best drill bits for door interior door latches.

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Steve Stiffler, Nov 10, 2007.

1. Steve Stiffler

Steve Stiffler New Member

I`ve allways used a 22mm flat for fitting my standard interior door latches.(erbauer titanium coted),just wondered what others use,are Forstner bits any better ?
    or a Mad-Bit Multi-Angle Drill Bit 22 x 130mm looks good says ideal for locksmiths and there is this Irwin 6x Blue Groove 22mm claims it is 6 times quicker than a flat.

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?cId=A337725&ts=88453&id=95872

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?cId=A337729&ts=88532&id=31522

It`s a choice between these if anyone knows anything about which is better as i`m getting tired of burning doors and turning bits black (almost new bits).

2. chip off the block

chip off the block New Member

irwin blue groove bits work wonders and they
    are fast

3. Steve Stiffler

Thanks mate,got 7 doors to start on monday and these should save me a lot of time as it was becoming a struggle even with a decent corded drill to get deep enough without burning the wood !

4. starlight tiles

starlight tiles New Member

22mm auger bit

5. Bonzo

Bonzo New Member

Steve I've used augers for years. Flats are no good. I'd be interested to know how the knew irwin bits are performing. The augers are much better than flat bits cause they pull themselves into the work. You can sharpen the spurs on an auger with a fine file. But thats hardly worth bothering about now cause they're much cheaper than they used to be. It always depends on the timber a flat bit is fine on pine or composite but struggles on oak, mahogany n any other hardwood,

6. Mr Mike

Mr Mike New Member

Augers in general, but those Mad bits are great for cleaning out mortices using an up & down motion.....they're very good.

7. Steve Stiffler

I used to use augers in a brace but not in a drill,i`ll get a 22mm irwin 6x bit and let you know what there like.

8. paulo333

paulo333 Member

As Mr Mike says, the MAD bits are really useful because you can clean out the entire mortice with one drill bit -quicker than other methods that require a chisel as well.
    And the MAD bits are extremely sharp.

9. !!

!! Active Member

I have always used an auger but will try out those irwin ones