best (ever) shed door exterior hinge and carriage bolts

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by sdw909, Sep 22, 2022.

1. sdw909

sdw909 New Member

peeps...
    ...where can I get the best ever shed door exterior hinge and carriage bolts that will cheese off any ne'er do well to the absolute max ? And I mean super frustrate them to the max !!!
    Cost (reasonable to somewhat stupid) is no barrier (but there are limits).
    I just want to slow them down for totally as long as possible.
    Thank you in advance peeps.
    Dave.

2. Hausfix

Hausfix Well-Known Member

sdw909 likes this.
  3. sdw909

sdw909 New Member

now they look interesting, and silver coated too! sweet. now that's a double triple bonus tease to them ne'er do wells !! haha
    seriously though... looking for never ever have to service, ultra low maintenance, last forever, never rot, best ever, (ergo cost a lot), hinges and bolts
    (and being the tart that I'm not, preferably stainless steel in black) (but I'll rough and paint if need be, in which case must at least be stainless steel)

4. Hausfix

If you can stretch the budget, stainless steel hinges and carriage bolts are the way forward with nice big plate washers on the inner side.
    Confuse those sticky fingered vermin by fitting concealed internal hinges and a hidden lock mechanism. Then have some fake external hinges on the latch side, so if they try attacking the door, they’ll be ******* into the wind by trying to open the wrong side..

5. Hausfix

6. sdw909

sdw909 New Member

now we're talking the right stuff, cool - sounds proper - I actually need to spend a bit more time absorbing your suggestions there - thank you fella!
    the more I think about it, the more I realise that you know what you're talking about - thank you for that

I was going to fit anti-lift door to frame bolts too - I think they're called hinge bolts, so that's a given
    so back to basic task...
    ...I did a fair bit of searching but I just couldn't seem to find an online iron monger with stainless hinges (any colour, I will paint) and matched stainless carriage bolts.
    So, I guess that's what I'm after really - somewhere where I can purchase the last word in hinges and bolts that cannot be bettered by anyone else.
    But if anyone also has top tips to delay penetration (and don't say drink less) then that's what I want to hear about too.
    Cheers! (hic) Peeps.

7. Hausfix

If security and longevity is the main issue, you might investigate the possibility of re-framing the shed door opening, then reinforcing the back of your shed door/s with a solid core fire door blank. This will then allow you to hang the door/s in the same manner as a normal household front door. Proper 4” fire door hinges, hinge pins, multi point locks..

8. Hausfix

As for delaying penetration, I’ll post a photo of my ex-wife.. guaranteed to work.

FlyByNight likes this.
  9. sdw909

sdw909 New Member

that hinge looks alright - thank you

I always look in ScrewFix first - they've had lots (and lots) of my spend already as I do this old council house up for me and the missus - which will very likely be our first and last home together (but to own (once it does finally get paid for) is a nice idea)... maybe I spend too much on fixings (haha)... but anyway, never had a problem with anything I have ever bought from ScrewFix, and the very few returns that I have ever had to do have always been handled quickly and fairly. I guess that's why I started asking my questions in this forum I suppose. So, thank you to "Hausfix" who replied and to any subsequent repliers too :)

Have a good evening, and good weekend. Tc. Dave.

10. sdw909

sdw909 New Member

good one - lol - made me laugh - ta

Hausfix likes this.
  11. Hausfix

All the very best!

12. sdw909

sdw909 New Member

cool - I'll study this - thank you again

Hausfix likes this.