Best exterior wood paint (pergola)

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by bitethebullet, Oct 10, 2021.

1. bitethebullet

bitethebullet New Member

Hello, Looking to paint the aforementioned white. What would be in your opinion the best paint as regards longevity to use? I was going to go with Cuprinol garden shades but i've heard mixed reports.

2. Truckcab79

Truckcab79 Active Member

Personally I avoid paint in gardens as it always peels eventually. I build custom pergolas and always offer clients water based stains from the Village Green range, then coat with Osmo 420 extra. You won’t get an opaque white but I prefer to see the grain of timber

bitethebullet likes this.
  3. bitethebullet

bitethebullet New Member

It's to go on bare pressure treated wood

4. Truckcab79

Truckcab79 Active Member

Exactly what I use it on. Strictly speaking you should leave the pressure treated timber to season for some weeks to get rid of some of the chemicals leaching from the surface (the green tinge that it has). I’ve personally never had an issue so long as the wood is dry. You might find the Osmo goes on cloudy if it’s very damp so best leave the whole job until the weather is drier if it’s already out and built. That said I’ve also used Osmo in the cold and rain with prior warning to the client that it might not look great initially. It always seems to dry out fine when it warms up. Still best not to if it can wait. Have a look at the A G Woodcare website for stain and oil. Any problem or advice just message or them. They’re very helpful.

5. bitethebullet

bitethebullet New Member

Thanks for the concise info :)
    I really like the look of a white pergola though.

6. bitethebullet

bitethebullet New Member

Actually I'm warming to the idea of using a stain. That osmo 420 isn't in stock anywhere here. Could you recommend an alternative?

7. Adamfya

Adamfya Active Member

Available for next day delivery on amazon....

8. Truckcab79

Truckcab79 Active Member

Are you not in UK? If you are, Amazon, AG, eBay etc will all ship to you. You probably won’t find it in the DIY sheds but otherwise easy to get hold of. Most decent Timber Flooring suppliers also. Best product for what you want so don’t be tempted to use something else. It’s not cheap, but for good reason.

9. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Well worth considering Bedec Barn Paint for your pergola

Have a read up on their site for more product info
    Call them in the morning, they have a helpful technical advice line and will even send you out a free paint sample for you to try an some scrap timber

Its a quality paint product :)

https://bedec.co.uk/barn-paint/

10. Truckcab79

Truckcab79 Active Member

Good stuff. I have my workshop painted in it. It still peels after a few years though. Mine needed another coat after a couple of years. Not that stain last forever but it tends to slowly fade to silver grey if left alone rather than flake off.

11. bitethebullet

bitethebullet New Member

Ireland

12. Truckcab79

Truckcab79 Active Member

13. bitethebullet

bitethebullet New Member

OK thanks for all the replies. Osmo it is then. :)

14. Truckcab79

Truckcab79 Active Member

You’ll be more than happy with Osmo I’m sure. Lovely satin finish. UV protection so your colour last longer. Make sure you buy 420 Extra not just any old Osmo oil.

15. bitethebullet

bitethebullet New Member

Will do...it must be very popular ...out of stock nearly everywhere over here

16. bitethebullet

bitethebullet New Member

I managed to get some clear satin osmo 420 today. They're is a little tint of green off the wood. Should I wait till that fades a little before applying the osmo? ...

17. Truckcab79

Truckcab79 Active Member

I don’t personally. But when I’m using Osmo it tends to be when a client has spec’d having it stained first so that minimises the green tinge which on some areas can be quite apparent. It will still be visible when you oil it so really depends whether it bothers you. It will fade eventually. On lighter colours even when stained it’s still apparent.

18. bitethebullet

bitethebullet New Member