Best filler for skirting

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by nakedterry, Aug 29, 2006.

1. nakedterry

nakedterry New Member

I have been doing my skirting and have used various methods to fill gaps (its painted so no worries) and hide the counter sunk screws.
    Just wanted to get a bit of a debate on the best methods.
    I have used
    1. Caulk - on the tops for wonky walls
    2. All purpose filler - for the screws
    3. Wood filler - for small gaps at the scribed internals.

Anybody have and preference or can caluk be used for the lot?

One more thing - one plank i did has a gap below it of 5mm. How best to deal with it or at least minimise it. Beading is not a option!

2. Mr Kipling

Mr Kipling New Member

A recent filler I have used that is good for strength is filler powder mixed into PVA glue to a thick consistency. I found it good for large holes like counter bores cos it don't drop out.

3. mr e

mr e New Member

4. happyknob

happyknob New Member

I would agree with Mr e that wooden plugs are best for filling the screw holes. Caulk is good for the wall joint and for the internal scribes should you need it. For the gap between the board and floor place a scrap piece of timber from the top of the skirting (above the gap)to the floor and apply weight to it. This should close the gap enough to allow you to fix it in that position.

5. mr e

mr e New Member

If it's the floor that's out, I would scribe bottom of skirt, if you force it down you will have a visible dip in the skirting.

6. nakedterry

nakedterry New Member

Yeah, I agree with the caulk. However I do not have a plug cutter and the skirt is painted anyway so I just use filler or wood filler.
    I dont agree with pushing down or scribing the skirt as :
    1. Pushing will have a dip, as mentioned and try to screw that while pushing it, no way.
    2. Scribing will cause the sides to be too low down to meet the scribed internal and would be off.
    Stuff it, I can live with 5mm.

In my other room the floor dips and rises badly (by 3cm!!) across one long skirt. So I glued a strip of wood to the bottom of the skirt and planed it to shape to match the contour of the floor. Looks great and I guess only a joiner would spot it as the wife cant, and thats a good thing, believe me.

7. mr e

mr e New Member

Terry,

If you scribe the bottom of the skirt, obviously you will need to take off similar amount from rest of skirt for it to join up accurately ( this can <u>easily</u> be done with a power plane). It ain't a question of you agreeing or disagreeing with me, I assumed you where looking for the best finish, not the quickest solution to the job, nevermind.

So I will re-phrase my post to : The best finish would be achieved by scribing the skirting and plugging the screw holes.

Btw you said
    "So I glued a strip of wood to the bottom of the skirt and <u>planed it to shape to match the contour of the floor</u>."

So what you are saying is "you scribed the skirt to the floor". HHHHHMMMMM!!!!

that's what I said wasn't it????

I reckon gluing that tiny strip of wood on, would take the same amount of time as it would<u>for me</u> to complete your whole room, scribes, plugs and all.:)

8. nakedterry

nakedterry New Member

good for you.
    whats up your hole then.

9. mr e

mr e New Member

You originally asked for the best method's, I believe I (trying to be helpful) gave you the best method's!!
    You then quickly dismissed them!!!! (you should have said you wanted the quickest methods instead).
    Then in your second post you described what I had already suggested (which you had dismissed) as what (in your opinion)is the best method and what you have already done!!
    So to answer your question, no there ain't anything "up my hole" as you so nicely put it, just pointing out <u>your</u> arrogance and hypocrisy.

10. splinter2

splinter2 New Member

mrE
    I agree with you about the fella,don't waste your advice on him

11. gardm1nt

gardm1nt New Member

Why ask a question if you already know the answer? some people....

12. nakedterry

nakedterry New Member

Mr e. I apologise if you have been annoyed by me. There is no need to get upset because I have already done the work.
    If you read my first post I am only trying to start a bit of a debate on how people deal with filling skirting. The advice on matching to the floor was as an aside. I already knew how to do it but I did not want to influence any answers, I just wanted untainted responses.
    Is it really worth getting so upset because someone does not agree with you.
    If the chippies keep this fighting up you may well turn into sparks.

13. mr e

mr e New Member

Apology excepted Terry.:)