best method to build large gates

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by jack101, May 10, 2012.

1. jack101

jack101 New Member

hi, im looking to build a pair of large gates, each leaf will be approx 1.6m wide and approx 2.7m high. these will be finished in a v groove type redwood lining painted white. i was wondering what would be best to form the structure of the gate. i dont want it to warp or twist so i ws considering using 12mm plywood laminated in different directions (up/down and left/right) 3 layers thick to form a large panel 36mm thick. the edges of this could be finished in hardwood trim which would also finish the edge of the lining board. anyone got any thoughts on this method? anyone suggest a different method?
    thanks

2. jack101

jack101 New Member

i was also considering using steel box section to form the gate "chassis" and then clad  this is the v groove timber. would that be the best way to stop warping of the timber?

3. Tembo11

Tembo11 Member

Consider that plywood sheets are only 2440 mm x 1220 mm  and you are likely to need more than one sheet just to do one of the 3 thickness you were considering
    With the price of plywood, wood treatment and ironwork you could almost have a pair made to actually fit and not have the problem of hanging them

when I built some myself I used 18mm gravel boards to build both the rails & bracings and the coverings as well ,screwed the frame together and nailed the covering on the side that faced the road. I found it easiest to start with the horizontal rails that the hinges attached to and to have them as one full width piece attached to a hinge at either end till the braces were in place and then cut them to form the two leaves

4. jack101

jack101 New Member

metal 40mm box section is £60 plywood is £60 and the timber lining is what it is so that cost doesnt matter. i dont think i could get them made cheaply and i dont think they would be as good as homemade. that is me pricing the metal box section and combining it with plywood. it may be more expensive using all plywood. i should mention that these are not ordinary garden/drive gates. they are for a for coach entrance to a listed building with an arch above. they have to look perfect and match the fixed section above which takes the curve of the arch. these gates would be far more expensive than normal garden gates. my current favoured plan is to make up the gates using 40mm steel box section with the ply wood glued and screwed to it. then the finishing timber can be glued to the plywood on both sides and the whole lot finished off with a 100mm wide edging piece of timber.

5. jack101

jack101 New Member

i would happily use timber in place of the steel box section if someone could advise that it wouldnt warp or methods to stop it warping.

6. jack101

jack101 New Member

they will be more like large doors than gates as they will open inwards and close onto door checks

7. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

Build the structure as frame, ledged and braced from 4x2 kiln dried timber and then clad, belt and brace it all by pu gluing.......

Message was edited by: Screwfix Moderator

8. jack101

jack101 New Member

that looks like a lot of work :)

is this less or more likely to warp than the metal and plywood option?

i saw a similar gate on diynot.com and the person was asking how to fix it because it had warped!

9. jack101

jack101 New Member

Message was edited by: Screwfix Moderator

10. jack101

jack101 New Member

dont think they use plywood though - cowboys!  :)

11. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

Its a lot simpler than any of the ideas you have mentioned......

12. jeznotts

jeznotts Member

hello
    seems to me like you have answered all your own questions! in my experience ,which is non in metal boxed section, big gates that have been made properly, ie by joiners, mortice and tennoned don't suffer too much from warping or dropping, etc of course the bigger the door, the bigger the section of wood, if you don't go down that route the metal has its advantages! asuming that you can weld!
    have fun with that though!

13. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

That is per gate I presume !

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

14. jack101

jack101 New Member

the prices are for the whole gate if using metal and plywood together. i was surprised how cheap the steel was, make a change!

15. Mr. Handyandy

Well I'm surprised how cheap the ply is!!!

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

16. jack101

jack101 New Member

i dont agree mate. its very simple to cut 6 bits of steel and using the plywood to keep the whole thing square then weld the joints and add plywood to the other side all glued and screwed. then add the decorative timber and edge with some good hardwood for longevity. i want the finish timber to be on both sides

17. jack101

jack101 New Member

its about £10 per 8x4 and i need 6 sheets

18. Mr. Handyandy

Don't get me wrong, but how exactly do you make a 2.7m x 1.6m 3 layer gate from 3 layers of 2.44m x  1.22m ply ?

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

19. jack101

jack101 New Member

you dont do 3 layers when using steel box section.
    you use 3 layers when not using steel box section.
    with the box section you just use one layer ply wood each side.

20. jack101

jack101 New Member

with the plywood only method, i think you would need 9 sheets of plywood.
    cross laminated of course