best method to build large gates

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by jack101, May 10, 2012.

1. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

yep, but not at a tenner a sheet.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

2. removed 7

removed 7 New Member

The plot thickens.........

3. jack101

jack101 New Member

thanks for your input, perhaps when you buy a large listed building facing ruin and lying derelict and then repair and rebuild it leaving it fit for future use then you can show us some photos and enlighten us with your wisdom - i look forward to it.

4. jack101

jack101 New Member

more than a tenner yes but cheaper than a ticket to disneyland

5. removed 7

removed 7 New Member

Jack, I wish you well with that property and with those gates.  I often work on listed properties here in England, and I'm a frequent visitor to Scotland where it seems that most people have a certain taste and a desire to conserve these precious listed buildings.  I share that desire and I wouldn't ever consider using such tacky methods as yours.

Do Scotland a favour, dear, at least consider finishing those gates with oak planks or a similar outward traditional appearance - even though they might be tacky on the inside.

Oh...... and one more thing: weld some diagonal braces to those gates if you want them to last.........

Ooops! Just one other thing dear:  Let's have a look at the hinges?

Lucia.

6. jack101

jack101 New Member

they will be finished with the same material as has been used above them. they will also be finished with the same material on the inside so they look no different on the inside except for the hinges bought from screwfix. they are called gate hinge reversible and coloured black. i think that you have commented on the photos without understanding the finished product. only time will tell but everyone seemed happy with them today despite not being fully finished yet.

these gates dont require diagonal braces, been doing welding long dear?

7. removed 7

removed 7 New Member

Jack, I didn't mean to upset you so ,and I truly wish you well with that project.

I'm quite sufficienty decayed at my age to have had enough  practice of all forms of welding  - and quite sure that any substantial hanging struture whether it be timber or steel would be in need of bracing.  This is a simple matter of physics.

But I do wish you well, you're clearly quite proud of your DIY gates, otherwise you wouldn't have posted those pics. But you do need to accept criticism , dear.....

Lucia.

8. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Now that I realise you are just a diyer is all makes sense. Good luck with your project. You will find plenty of other diyers clogging up trade counters on Saturdays wearing their shiny Dewalt jackets pretending to be "in the trade" asking stupid questions thus preventing us earning money. Maybe they would be more interested in your gates.

9. Jack's been good to his word in coming back and providing an update.

The proof of the puddin' will be the finished item - what it looks like, how well it performs and how well it lasts. I'm sure we'll have a further update.

How it was built is very much a secondary matter, imo, as it suited the skills of the builder and therefore provided the best value.

Now, about them cross-braces...

10. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

To be fair to the op, it is quite common to see gates made this way at the entrance to most small building sites, so they are obviously strong, although they have cross bracing.
    45 being the optinum angle.

11. Mr. Handyandy

Don't wanna make an argument of it, but surely the optimum angle is LESS than 45° and equal to the bottom hinge to opposite top corner, whatever angle that might be ?

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

12. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

I dont have a clue ha, maybe i will write to the makers of gallows brackets the world over and ask 

13. Mr. Handyandy

Nah, you're trying to be funny(sarcastic).

Look around, see how many supports/brackets are less than 45°.  The majority.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

14. That's because of the overall shape of most gates - very rarely are they exactly twice as high as they are wide...

And then the top and bottom horiz rails are rarely right at t'very top & bott.

And then...

Anyways, I would speculate that the strongest angle would be greater than 45o

15. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

Hands up i was being sarcastic, in both posts. Darn it you out foxed ha.

Anyway what would be the optimum then? 60/30 55/35?????

16. removed 7

removed 7 New Member

Devil's Advocate by name................

Lucia x

17. Yoo suggestin' I'm stirring?

Anyways, t'angles ain't critical and are determined by the overall shape of the gate and the number of horiz cross-pieces it requires. And the number of horiz cross-pieces are determined by (a) how many are required to support the vertical slats (I'd have thought 3 for most normal much-taller-than-they-are-wide gates) and (b) aethetics.

Now, the greater the angle of the ohIcan'tbearesed...

18. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Measuring the angle from top of the hinge side running down to the brace and then back up the brace, if that angle is greater than 45 degrees then the brace serves no purpose and in fact adds to the likelihood of distortion,. that certainly applies to ledged and braced doors/gates anyway.