Best MS Polymer or PU/Polyurethane adhesive

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by C J ord, Sep 30, 2018.

1. C J ord

C J ord Member

Hi,

I have got a granite counter top to fit and was going to use CT1 to bond it to units. However, after watching some reviews I am not sure whether its the best for the given task.

I was lead to believe by all the hype that CT1 was some revolutionary material.

I have a lot of experience in the marine industry and always used polyurethane adhesive for bonding but was hoping this MS polymer stuff might have given an advantage.

I would be grateful for any views or recommendations.

Thanks

2. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Ct1 is excellent, why do you think otherwise? With the weight of the granite alone I would think clear silicone would be more than adequate, especially if sealing around the edges and covering with a matching upstand.

C J ord likes this.
  3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Could bed granite on units with CT1, & use a silicone if sealing around the edges and covering with a matching upstand.

C J ord likes this.
  4. retiredsparks

retiredsparks Super Member

Bedding a top of that weight ....you could use any silicone.
    Upstands or beads that show....well CT1 performs very well...in particular the Crystal Clear version.
    RS

KIAB likes this.
  5. retiredsparks

retiredsparks Super Member

CT1 did not seem to yellow when I used it...but another clear brand has very quickly..on the same type Resopal worktops and upstands .
    Just an observation.
    Rs

KIAB, C J ord and WillyEckerslike like this.
  6. BMC2000

BMC2000 Screwfix Select

MS polymer if any kind of damp, Stixall is Ms Polymer. Less elongation, stretch with MS polymer. Polyurethane more stretch, more sensitive to damp.

C J ord likes this.
  7. C J ord

C J ord Member

Thanks for your advice men.

8. C J ord

C J ord Member

Hello, Jord86.

Thanks for responce. I agree that a good quality clear silicone would do the job.

I was all for the benefits CT1 until I seen a comparison test done on you tube.
    I have added a couple of links link below.

Cheers

KIAB and retiredsparks like this.