Best order to refit a kitchen?

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by Matty_uk, Feb 12, 2007.

1. Matty_uk

Matty_uk New Member

Hi all
    I'm trying to work out the best order to attack a complete kitchen replacement in. The order I have so far is at the end of this message. Please feel free to move round or add to what I have so far.

My specific questions are:

1. When do I lay ceramic floor tiles? Do you tile up to the cabinets or underneath the front leg of the cabinets?

2. When do I sort the plumbing. Obviously connecting up the taps will be after worktops, but currently piping runs through holes in existing floor cabinets. In refitting, should I run through holes or try to run behind? What is best practice/normal?

Anyway, loads more questions on this will come later, I'm sure!

Order so far:

strip out old kitchen
    electrics
    prep walls and paint
    wall cabinet carcasses up
    floor cabinet carcasses up
    worktops, sink and oven
    tiling
    handles on doors, then doors on cabinets
    finishing

2. Stretch

Stretch Member

Run your copper pipe work behind the base carcases before installing them and cut the service void at the rear of the carcases to suit but try to avoid running waste pipes behind appliances as you'll find you won't be able able to fit them flush.
    Fit your base carcases before your wall carcases and then scribe a level vertical line either side of the oven carcase to ensure your hood lines up with the hob (if the hob is going above the oven that is)

Apart from that, can't see any probs. Good luck.

Joyce Dixon likes this.
  3. 2 a week

2 a week New Member

I can see a problem ..WALL CABS FIRST,,MMmmm

4. Matty_uk

Matty_uk New Member

I figured it would be hard to fit the wall cabinets after the floor units without having to walk on the floor units and possibly damage them??

Any solutions as to when to put down the floor?

Also, when should the oven go in? Last thing?

Thanks a million in advance
    Matt

5. britishblue

britishblue New Member

If you are going to have a tiled floor, and don't intend to tile the whole floor before fitting any units, bear in mind that the tiles will raise the height of any appliances that you are fitting under the worktop, such as a dishwasher. Adjust the height of the base units to take this into account.

BB

6. britishblue

britishblue New Member

I figured it would be hard to fit the wall cabinets after the floor units without having to walk on the floor units and possibly damage them??

You should definitely fit the base units first, before the wall units. You shouldn't need to walk on the base units to fit the wall units, as the base units are not so deep that you can't fit the wall units without walking on the base units.

BB

7. joinerjohn

joinerjohn New Member

Order so far:

strip out old kitchen
    electrics
    prep walls and paint
    wall cabinet carcasses up
    floor cabinet carcasses up
    worktops, sink and oven
    tiling
    handles on doors, then doors on cabinets
    finishing

Best way
    strip out old kitchen
    plumbing
    electrics
    plaster chases etc
    prep walls and miss coat walls
    base cabinets 1st
    worktops sink etc inc oven and hob etc
    cover worktops and fit wall cabs and plinth , pelmet
    tiling
    doors drawers on cabs and handles
    floor tiling, laminate etc
    plinths
    paint walls with finished colour paint skirting etc
    finishing touches and clean off,
    Flooring depends whether customer wants to pay extra for tiles under units (never seen again) Just be mindful of any space under worktop for washing machine, fridge , freezer etc this will need tiling back to the wall

8. Matty_uk

Matty_uk New Member

thanks, joinerjohn that's really useful.

As I am the customer, do you think I should pay extra to tile all the way to the walls? Does it give me any advantages?

Also, once all the base cabinets are fitted, isn't it a bit difficult to tile under them, or are the cabinets not fixed to the wall?

thanks in advance
    Matt

9. joinerjohn

joinerjohn New Member

Hi Matty, Why pay for all that tiling thats never going to be seen? When you fit the base units just tile up to the adjustable feet. That should give you enough to cover the edge of the tiles with the plinth unless your having the units with fancy metal legs in which case tile the whole floor first. Just a thought, if you are having the units with plinth underneath. If there are any units at the end of a run that will be seen you might want to set the feet back a bit from the side of the unit as most feet make the plinth line up with the side. It looks much better if its set back the same as the front. One more thought , If you have any appliances under the worktop, tile this bit back to the wall as said before but when you fit the base units make sure you will have enough clearance for the appliance to fit under the worktop. Usual clearance is approx 870mm. This is from the tiling to the underneath of the worktop, so when you fit your base units you might want to set them say 15mm higher than this

10. joinerjohn

joinerjohn New Member

PS Base units are usually fixed to the wall.
    Cheers

JB

11. Shedmen

Shedmen New Member

The tile or not to tile issue will run and run - numerous threads with pros and cons. If it is not a budgetary issue I would always recommend tiling the whole floor this allows future changes of layout no man can second guess the whims of the lady of the house!

Shedmen

12. Matty_uk

Matty_uk New Member

Shedmen, As I am just a diy-er I think I'll tile the whole floor and just pay the extra for the tiles. It just gives me one less thing to screw up if I do that.

Joinerjohn - thanks for the info on how to tile up to the units and info on the order. Really useful. I think I'll leave the tiling tricks up to you professionals though and play it safe myself.

Interestingly, I found a website that suggests fitting wall units first:

http://www.kitchensfitted.co.uk/ExternalMedia/index.php

but at the same time I have spoken to others who agree floor units first is best, so I guess it's partly personal choice.

Thanks all for the help. Like I said, apologies in advance for all the other questions I might fire at you!

Best
    M

13. loosenup

loosenup Member

remove kitchen .
    install services ( electrics and plumbing )
    when fitting carcases use the void at the rear of base cascases to conceal the services.
    Tile the whole floor .. no gaps if there is an alteration at a later date .. and if you unfortuneaely have a leak then it will not puddle under the units before showing itself.
    You eally need to check your floor level and start wih a corner base at the highest point otherwise you may find that when you get to the appliances the machines may not slide under worktop. do not fix the base units in position at this point .. sort oout your levels for the wall carcases taking into account whether you have a tall housing in the plan or not ... if not .. usual hieght is around the 2125mm mark .
    again start in the corner with your wall units and fix all adjacent units .. because the base carcases are not fixed .. then any discrepancy in the wall plumb can be adjusted at this point to align the base a wall carcases.
    I prefer to fit the trims on the wall units before worktops go on .. as even if they are covered , a dropped screwdriver will dent a laminate worktop.
    Fit the worktops , sink and hob.
    Fit the doors .. then the handles .. open each door before drilling for handle so that you always get it on the correct side of the dor .. not the hinge side.
    The legs on these units are designed to support the side cheek of the carcase .. if you move this further into the carcase then there is a slight chance the carcase could fail at the bottom joint .
    Fit any appliances before the doors are fitted .
    scribe and fit your plinths .
    there ya go .. one kitchen .
    Phill

14. Ghost-1

Ghost-1 Active Member

Matty............if you intend to tile the walls......do it before you put pelmits up

15. Ghost-1

Ghost-1 Active Member

Matty............if you intend to tile the walls......do it before you put pelmets up

16. Matty_uk

Matty_uk New Member

wow, loosenup, thanks for all that. There is a lot of info there. I have now printed out this whole thread for future reference.

Thanks joinerjohn too especially for the tips. I guess I'll go with floor cabinets first as that seems to be the feeling here. And even DIYers drop screwdrivers...

One other little thing if anyone fancies a quick answer - waste pipes - are they meant to fit into this service void too (I haven't put together my cabinets yet, so am not sure how big the void is)?

Thanks again everyone. Feel free to add any more tips like Ghost-1s.

Best
    M

17. Stretch

Stretch Member

Depends on the size of the service void Matty. Most voids are 50mm min but a 40mm waste with a clip on it can be a bit tight. If you can run the waste below 150mm from the floor ie below the base cabinet this can help but make sure it has sufficient fall and is well supported.

18. joinerjohn

joinerjohn New Member

Hi Matty I usually try to keep the sink in the same place and use the existing waste pipework for this. If you are moving the sink then I would suggest drilling the hole through the wall for the waste and putting a piece of pipe in , then marking the position on the base unit where the pipe comes through.
    Hope this helps you

19. joinerjohn

joinerjohn New Member

PS . As Ghost says , if you are tiling the walls from floor to ceiling then do this first before you put on pelmets and cornice. Saves no end of trouble cutting tiles to suit the profile of the pelmet or cornice. But tile after the wall units are on. If you follow what I mean