Best preparation for roll-out vinyl flooring over tiles

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by RobH2018, Jul 11, 2019.

1. RobH2018

RobH2018 Member

Hi there,

I've inherited an outbuilding from the previous owner of my house.

The floor is a rough-and-ready ceramic tile finish, but I'd like to have vinyl sheet flooring instead.

The floorspace is about 21m^2. What's the best way to get a good surface for the vinyl sheet flooring?

I'm wondering between just sticking some filler in the grout grooves to get them flush with the tiles, and using self-levelling compound. Thing is, it's quite a big area so might need £100 worth of levelling compound, seems a bit steep for an outbuilding office.

Any tips?

Cheers,
    Rob

Attached Files:

2. xednim

xednim Screwfix Select

leveling compound over ceramic tiles isn't greatest idea
    recently have done similar work and client to avoid expenses went for hardboard over the tiles and next vinyl

3. RobH2018

RobH2018 Member

Thank you xednim for your response. What's the problem with leveling compound over ceramic tiles?

4. xednim

xednim Screwfix Select

Low grip to the tiles

5. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Self leveller over tiles is fine if correct prep carried out 1st;

Sweep tiles

Wash to remove grime, grease, muck, rinse, allow to fully dry

Paint over with SBR, diluted as per instructions on pack (probably around 1-4 SBR/Water

Allow to dry

Self level away :)

Just ensure all tiles are fully stuck down, no loose or broken tiles, no flex to floor

Mapei self lever is good, around £20 sack, sometimes on special from SF

Also when comparing prices, check sack size as some are 20kg, others 25

Call Mapei technical line to confirm my post if you wish

6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Can use this primer (used neat) instead of SBR to prime tiles, maybe cheaper option.

https://www.wickes.co.uk/Setcrete-High-Performance-Floor-Levelling-Acrylic-Primer---2-5L /p/154148

http://www.setcrete.co.uk/product/acrylic-primer/

Leveling compound,£11 per bag.

https://www.wickes.co.uk/Setcrete-Universal-Floor-Levelling-Compound---20kg/p/112754

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
  7. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Self leveller on special at moment from wickes

Full price only pennies in it as Mapei is 25kg and W = 20kg

As always, shop around if your not tied in to using certain brands

Also thinks wickes sell SBR in 1ltr size which is handy for diy, most places sell 5ltr only

I’ve used Mapei Ultraplan few times and although not the cheapest, I believe Mapei products to be good quality

Even says on the sack can be used over tiles (following correct prep as detailed) ;)

8. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

I do wish they standardise the bag size for leveling compound, as Mapei Latexplan 2 Part Levelling Compound comes in 30kg bags,whereas Mapei Ultraplan Eco is 20kg bags & other Mapei leveling compound 25kg bags.:confused: