Best preparation method & material?

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by Lee-J, Jan 13, 2019.

1. Lee-J

Lee-J New Member

Hi,

I’ve recently bought a bungalow to renovate, I believe it was built in the 50’s and don’t think the decor has been touched since.

I have paid to have the bathroom done but due to lack of funds I would like to tile the toilet next door myself. I have stripped all the old tiles off etc and required a breaker to get it off. It was like white tile that cipped off in tiny pieces.

I have then boarded two of the walls but if I board the wall on the picture and around the door I will be proud of the door frame without even fixing the tiles.

I would appreciate your advice on the best way to prep the wall on the photo for tiling. The scratch coat appears to be mortar and is well attached as it actually takes the face of the breeze block off if I attempt to get it off with a breaker. It is relatively flat as well. The bits that came off easy were at the top where the material is brick and not block.

Like stated earlier this is a toilet and not bathroom so will just have sink and toilet. Thanks in advance for your time.

Cheers

Lee

2. ramseyman

ramseyman Active Member

I think your best bet is not to board, as long as you can make good any damage from removing the tiles prior to retiling. The walls sound ok if the tiles were that difficult to remove and boarding is generally only necessary where excessive moisture is present, showers, around baths etc as long as the walls themselves are sound.

3. Lee-J

Lee-J New Member

AEA192A7-8E61-470D-B73C-38BDE0647293.jpeg 60045A51-8D71-4D0C-92F9-F7A057045B54.jpeg 60045A51-8D71-4D0C-92F9-F7A057045B54.jpeg AEA192A7-8E61-470D-B73C-38BDE0647293.jpeg

4. Lee-J

Lee-J New Member

Thanks for your response, Really appreciated! Would I need to patch the missing render prior to tiling or would I be able to achieve this by using extra flexible tile adhesive when tiling?

Also what primer would be best in this substrate prior to tiling? SBR or Acrylic?

Cheers

Lee

5. ramseyman

ramseyman Active Member

I would use SBR. Depends on the depth of plater you need to make up. You can usually get away with adhesive if it’s not much more than 5mm.

6. Lee-J

Lee-J New Member

Thanks, I’ll pick some SBR up. The difference is around 10mm in places.

7. CGN

CGN Well-Known Member

Use rapid set to repair the 'low' areas.

8. Lee-J

Lee-J New Member

Thanks for your help, Apologies if this sounds thick but by “rapid set” do you mean tile adhesive or is this the brand?

Cheers

9. CGN

CGN Well-Known Member

Yes, tile adhesive. If there are a lot of low spots, then use this to level/flatten the wall before you start tiling.

10. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Well-Known Member

Unless your an experienced tiler, you want the walls as flat as possible before you tile. The larger the tile, the flatter you want to walls to avoid ‘lippage’ of the tiles

So 2 boarded walls excellent, off you go. The wall with doorway, you can either board as well and then pad out door lining and refit/replace architrave or, patch up wall

A pro tiler could easily sort and level wall as he works, adding greater depth of tile adhesive as and where needed, although some would recommend that wall is either boarded or skimmed before tiling

Another option is to patch wall before you tile and make as flat as possible. Apart from using tile adhesive, can use a repair mortar for brick/block walls - bonding plaster isn’t not recommended for tiling onto

Look at Bal Quickset Render or Ardex A45

I’ve used the Ardex myself for this same job and great product, easy to use, fast setting, around £18 for 11kg bag

For a diy tiler (myself) certainly easy to have the wall repaired and as flat as possible before laying 1st tile

11. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Well-Known Member

No. I'd use a bagged adhesive - most say up to 12mm or so but can be used thicker. Screw a batten to the wall low down and get one row on nice and straight. spread the adhesive generously and use a large notch trowel. I would suggest a medium sized tile (say 300 x 500) not so small you are fiddling each one, and not so large you can't pinch a bit if you find they aren't sitting perfectly flat. Don't go for a square edge 600 x 600 - you'll fight every one.