Best rcbo consumer units?

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Powerelec, Nov 11, 2021.

1. Powerelec

Powerelec Member

what are opinions on the best full rcbo consumer units ? best fitting, spacious, well designed and reasonably priced.

I know they are more common now than they were a few years ago , since prices have come down a little

also has anyone used the non fly lead 2 pole rcbos and units from sbs ? http://sbstradesales.co.uk/

2. ElecCEng

ElecCEng Screwfix Select

I stick with FuseBox these days. Not the most spacious boards, but easy to install and never had any problems.

Powerelec likes this.
  3. Comlec

Comlec Screwfix Select

I tend to use Contactum all RCBO boards from TLC-Direct or occasionally Hager stuff from CEF. Was thinking of trying a BG RCBO board from our hosts if a job comes up where one would be appropriate.
    There is no “best” board, as what you need to fit will depend on a few factors and some are just better than others in some situations.
    There is however, “best” advice. Don’t choose on price alone.

Powerelec and ElecCEng like this.
  4. Bazza-spark

Bazza-spark Screwfix Select

I would say the best type is the one that supllies the RCBO type you need. Most only do type AC and A, so if you need a B you've had it.

Powerelec likes this.
  5. MGW

MGW Screwfix Select

SPD price and if double pole required, as @ElecCEng says in the main fusebox seems to be best option as both SPD and RCBO are cheap. But with a TT installation maybe you need double pole, and fusebox does not seem to have the option.

Powerelec likes this.
  6. Comlec

Comlec Screwfix Select

Powerelec and MGW like this.
  7. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

Wylex, as wholesalers in my area all stock the breakers for them, so easy to grab parts.

I have used the SBS kit once, it's main selling point is the lack of neutral fly lead, but I found the metal casing to be a little on the thin side. Functional for sure, just didn't feel "quality".

Powerelec likes this.
  8. Zed1001

Zed1001 Member

I've used Fusebox a couple of times, quality seems good, and reasonably priced.

Powerelec likes this.
  9. Ind spark

Ind spark Screwfix Select

Has anyone tried a Crabtree rcbo board?
    Used to love the split load, polestar I think it was the mcbs just plug in, no messing with a busbar.
    Only use fusebox now.

Powerelec likes this.
  10. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

Wylex or hager for quality, budget range Lewdon

Powerelec likes this.
  11. Sparkielev

Thank that's the starbreaker or loadstar board quality kit but most wholesalers don't stock them

12. Roys

Roys Screwfix Select

I have fitted two of them, including one in my own house, I liked it, the double pole was a big plus to me plus no flying leads to deal with.

Powerelec likes this.
  13. Ind spark

Yeah starbreaker rings a bell.
    When iv looked at Crabtree recently, they seem a bit expensive.

techie likes this.
  14. Sparkielev

My wholesalers were selling them at a good price I was fitting loads, until they stopped stocking them, they exact replica of the wylex, even the mcbs are the same

Powerelec likes this.
  15. Ind spark

Oh ok I'll have a look at wylex next time.

Powerelec likes this.
  16. Sparkielev

I like the wylex but they expensive but sometimes it worth the cost

Powerelec likes this.
  17. Ind spark

I've had no problems with fusebox so far.
    Just don't like faffing with the busbar, so easy to get a prong the wrong side, I usually check about 20 times with a little mirror.

Powerelec and Zed1001 like this.
  18. Tony Goddard

Tony Goddard Screwfix Select

I use a lot of MEM as they are specced by the local authority - very good but don't look too closely at the bill

For domestic and cost conscious I find BG and Lewden both pretty good, never had any issues.

19. Timbo66

Timbo66 Active Member

I've fitted a few. Price is reasonable, especially for spd/mcb add in at £25. I understand they now do a DP mcb for the twin busbar system.
    Come assembled as you want, specify when you order.

Powerelec likes this.
  20. Powerelec

Powerelec Member

I looked at these as an option, reasonably priced and not many bad reviews, have you got any photos of completed jobs ? how much of a struggle are they space wise ?

I need it for around 15 circuits.