Best rcbo consumer units?

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Powerelec, Nov 11, 2021.

1. Powerelec

Powerelec Member

some poor reviews for BG

2. Powerelec

Powerelec Member

local authorities fiddle budgets their spec dosn't mean anything, it just mean that someone higher up haas been paid to specify mem.

3. Can't say I've noticed that there's not much room, especially if using the mini rcbo.

Powerelec likes this.
  4. Mike Newman

Mike Newman New Member

Remember brands like Fusebox, LIVE, Danson, Lewden, MK, Hamilton, Garo etc…are not manufacturers of consumer units, they import and distribute them.

They have no testing facilities, they have no technical back up and they have no longevity of supply.

In 4/5 years, where will electricians find a Fusebox or LIVE RCBO? That means a board change again as you can’t fit anyone else’s devices in there.

Stick with Hager, Wylex or, if you want the best Crabtree Starbreaker and their plug in miniature RCBO’s. Guaranteed no miss connection on the bus at, no risk of over heating.

Powerelec likes this.
    Powerelec likes this.
  6. Powerelec

Powerelec Member

I fitted cheap non branded boards between 10-20 years ago, never had issues same customers had me out doing other jobs but no issues with boards. They have to be tested to meet British standards. Frankly some of the boards should be changed anyway eventually as they were plastic, but so were all the branded ones.

The reason brands should not be mixed is mainly due to the fittings and not really much to do with anything else.

7. Tony Goddard

Tony Goddard Screwfix Select

On testing, they will have been type tested to meet BS, so thats not a problem, but supply of spares could well be going forward. Lewden, BG and Hamilton are long established (all over 50 years) companies, so I feel confident in their quality control, but there is no guarantee they will continue selling these lines.

Saying that, it is an issue even with established makes, Memsheild 2 is still available, but a replacement RCBo module is north of £120 plus VAT, Mitsubishi and Federal Electric were popular in the 90's, neither are easy to get at a sensible price and there are many generations of Wylex and Crabtree breaker that are now discontinued, sadly its a throw away world now.

Powerelec likes this.
  8. rogerk101

rogerk101 Screwfix Select

In the rest of the world it is perfectly acceptable to mix brands in a single consumer unit. All around Europe, Africa, and North America I've seen many devices from different manufacturers coexisting quite merrily in the same CU. The only time there is an issue is when the combs don't line up perfectly, but they're pretty easy to bend, and they have enough tolerance to accommodate a few bends per run.

I know in the UK is is frowned upon to mix brands in a single CU, but I can't say I've ever seen a REGULATION or a LAW that forbids it, such that when it's done, it can be considered a PUNISHABLE OFFENCE.

If someone installs a 20 way fully RCBO CU from FuseBox and then FuseBox goes bust in a few years, such that a single FuseBox RCBO cannot be sourced to replace a faulty one, is there a LAW or a REGULATION that states that the entire CU needs to be changed to avoid mixing brands? If there is such a LAW or REGULATION, please send me a link to it.

9. Tony Goddard

Tony Goddard Screwfix Select

Interesting, not sure!!, it may be a myth, like the one about screwits being banned, they never were, I think the NICEIC said they didn't like them or somesuch, the company that made them closed down, there was even an attempt to bring them back, but it failed!

10. Mike Newman

Mike Newman New Member

BS 7671 Regulation 536.4.203 specifies requirements for integrating devices and components into low voltage assemblies to the BS EN 61439 series, e.g. consumer units, distribution boards. The regulation highlights:
    • The need to ensure conformity with the relevant part of BS EN 61439 series,
    • The fact that individual components conform to their respective product standards and are CE marked, does not indicate their compatibility for integration into an assembly,
    • The person introducing a modification / alteration becomes the original manufacturer with the corresponding obligations for that assembly.

I wouldn’t want to be taking on the manufacturing responsibilities of a fully loaded Fusebox con unit after I’ve put a single Hager RCBO in it.

If there’s a serious fault or even fire in the unit after I’ve put the Hager device in it, I’m buggered.

Teki and Bazza-spark like this.
  11. Comlec

Comlec Screwfix Select

No laws but it can be argued from an interpretation of the Wiring Regulations (BS7671)

A consumer unit is defined in PART 2 - Definitions

Consumer unit (may also be known as a consumer control unit or electricity control unit). A particular type of distribution board comprising a type-tested co-ordinated assembly for the control and distribution of electrical energy, principally in domestic premises, incorporating manual means of double-pole isolation on the incoming circuit(s) and an assembly of one or more fuses, circuit-breakers, residual current operated devices or signalling and other devices proven during the type-test of the assembly as suitable for such use.

So, whilst it is possible to fit other manufactures components to a consumer unit, it is no longer a type-tested co-ordinated assembly. This does not necessarily cause any issues but NAPIT do suggest that components from mixed manufacturers are coded as observations.

From Napit Code Breakers

4.14 Compatibility of protective devices, bases and other components; correct type and rating (No signs of unacceptable thermal damage, arcing or overheating) (411.3.2; 411.4; 411.5; 411.6; Section 432.433) -
    Devices fitted to DB/CU may not be compatible with original manufacturer’s equipment – signs of thermal damage (522;536.4.203)

You can now look up the regs and make up your own mind.

When I find this situation during inspection I have to make a judgement rather than follow a rule.

If I need to fit a new/replacement part then my first port of call is always the tech support for original manufacturer of the consumer unit. Often they can come up with a compliant solution.

Bazza-spark likes this.