Best Roller Sleeve for Emulsion Paint

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Matt777, Mar 20, 2019.

1. Matt777

Matt777 New Member

Hi, I am going to be paining my whole house, so can some one please advise me on whats the best 9 inch Roller Sleeve to use for the following types of surface when painting with Emulsion Paint:

1) Ceiling with Artex pattern (circular swirl pattern)

2) Smooth Wall

3) Semi Smooth Wall

For the brush work, I believe the Wooster silver-tip angled sash paintbrush is the one to go for?

Thank you experts.

2. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

I’d invest in a 12” roller and frame or bigger if you’re doing the whole house.

3. LEH

LEH Active Member

After trying various cheaper sleeves I tried the Hamilton Perfection ones and I won't go back now. I keep the old ones for primer, mist coating etc. They all get paint on the wall but it's the small things that you'll notice if doing lots of painting. Like sleeves walking off the frame (12" will avoid this as the frames hold the roller both sides), picking up excess paint on the edges of the roller, spray when rolling, finish etc etc.

DIYperson and (deleted member) like this.
  4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

+1 Hamilton Perfection

DIYperson and Alwaysworking like this.
  5. Matt777

Matt777 New Member

Thanks Leh and Kiab.

6. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

As to what pile roller for what surface;

Heavy for Artex ceiling. These ceilings are easy to paint and no problem with roller marks showing !
    Cut in around edges, ceiling lights, etc with 3-4” brush and off with the roller

With the walls, generally the shorter the pile roller, the smoother paint finish you will end up with. But also has a lot to do with technique as well

So nice flat walls, if you want a fine paint finish, go short pile roller

Only problem is if walls/plaster isn’t dead flat, pile is so short so can end up with no or less paint on wall hollows and this shows up in certain light and angles

Medium pile will leave a little more texture and will deal better with slight unevenness to walls

Don’t be tempted to continually go back and roller over sections as emulsion starts to dry quick and this gives more texture to the paint

Even worse with paints such as Dulux Easy Care (washable) as it’s a bit plasticy and starts sticking to roller after a minute or so on the wall. This picks up the paint and can leave a heavy ‘orange peel’ effect once dried

I’ve been using Prodec MicroFibre sleeves from T St. not saying their the best (I’m sure there not) but seem fine to me, leave a nice fine finish (on decent flat walls) and wash out well for next time

Enjoy painting :)

7. Matt777

Matt777 New Member

Thanks for the advise DIYDave, its very helpful

8. gac1967

gac1967 Member

Arroworthy microfiber or the Wooster Pro dooz sleeves give a fantastic finish

9. DIYperson

DIYperson Member

+1 Hamilton Perfection