best router and router advice

Discussion in 'Tool Talk' started by gyprocjim, Dec 8, 2012.

1. gyprocjim

gyprocjim Member

Hi  im a joiner and occasionally do the odd fitted kitchen where I normally hand cut and fit the joints of worktops including cutting recessses for clamps. I do get a good finish but its fairy  time consuming and obviously very pernickety method of doing it.

However, im getting more and more kitchens  and think it may be time to invest in a good quality router , cutters and a jig.    I have limited experience of using routers(away back when i worked in a workshop for a while to cut mouldings  on to counter edges - that sort of thing) but never for laminate or wooden worktop joints so a bit unsure about that....... but will practise on some old worktops cuttings once ive got the gear.

Looking for advice on best type of router to buy...thinking dewalt or makita as they appear the best ,,,also the best make versus affordability 

Any advice/tips re good cutters and router jigs  would be welcome

I see the jigs have peg holes does this mean that you have to drill holes to insert pegs to hold jig in place on the underside of the worktop.Excuse my ignorance here but ive  never used one or seen one of these jigs being used. Natural Joiner instincts would be to get it marked up and use cramps to hold jig it in place. Also when routering worktop i presume you start by cuttin into the face edge so you dont chip the edge or get tear-out from the facing edges which again i anticipate you would get if you were cutting un oppoaite direction.

Also how many kitchens would a good cutting blade be good for and can you get them sharpened

Thanks,,,,hope above makes sense and any help opr advice appreciated.

2. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

Buy a TREND router and go on one of their courses - fantastic! It is the best way to get the most out of your router - whatever your brand of router if you are doing worktops you need a big motor.

http://www.trend-uk.com/en/UK/

3. Gray

Gray Guest

Whichever you get, you need a big motor. I agree with Cap. Leaky Trend are the best but most expensive. (However, I wouldn't bother with a course just to learn to cut worktops). I have a Trend but would probably buy a Dewalt or something cheaper with a similarly large motor next time.
    The pegs are to guide the jig into the right position (no drilling required, they go through pre-drilled holes in the jig). When its sat right you clamp it to the work top. All jigs come with instructions, take your time and read everything twice. After doing 2 you will have it sussed. Cutters vary TCS are best. It's not as complicated as it looks, and extremely satisfying when you get an almost invisible joint. Have a look on You Tube there are loads of videos showing the process.
    Something I've started using recently is 'Zip Fasteners'. They replace the nut and spanner type and are fastened with an alen key in your cordless. MUCH faster and easier.
    Good luck.