Best Satin top coat - Johnstones Aqua?

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Hans_25, Jan 10, 2019.

1. Hans_25

Hans_25 Screwfix Select

I've made some skirtings & architraves and given an initial coat using Leyland Acrylic Primer undercoat (not sure why I chose this instead of Johnstones Aqua), was going to use Dulux Trade Satinwood as top coat as painter used it in my Partners house, but thinking Johnstones Aqua Satin might be better - what's the best satin top coat?

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

3. Hans_25

Hans_25 Screwfix Select

4. Mikl8891

Mikl8891 New Member

5. Hans_25

Hans_25 Screwfix Select

Thanks - yep its the second link I posted then.

6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

7. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Crown Fastflow Satin

Without doubt, beats the Johnstone’s and is a pleasure to use, flows out really nicely and is super bright white

Over the years and switching to water based trim paint I’ve gone Leyland (yuk), Dulux (ok, left brush marks, maybe me though), Johnstone’s (nice, until I tried;)

Crown Fastflow - it’s fantastic :)

8. Hans_25

Hans_25 Screwfix Select

Thanks for the crown tip - I'll see what the prices are like at my local Brewers and choose accordingly.

9. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

10. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

The very best Satin at the present time in my honest opinion as a pro decorator is 'Johnstones Aqua Satin' it is recommended to use the Aqua undercoat which forms a good high build base for the top coats. If gloss preferred use Crown FastFlow together with the FastFlow undercoat, I find the FastFlow Satin lacks opacity.

Hans_25 and WillyEckerslike like this.
  11. Hans_25

Hans_25 Screwfix Select

Same here :)

Astramax likes this.
  12. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

You sure won't. :)