Best satinwood?

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by dvddvd, Nov 13, 2020.

1. dvddvd

dvddvd Well-Known Member

What's the best satinwood available?
    I would prefer oil based..

I've used Leyland trade goes on great but yellows in weeks

Also used Dulux trade which is poor coverage and not very good flow, used to be good before they changed it.

Any others to try?

Would use water based but find that you need multiple coats where on a job puts days onto a job and would not get the work if a staircase takes 1 day to satinwood and suddenly it takes 2 days...

2. Astramax

Astramax Screwfix Select

Have you thought about using V33 melamine finish paint as that covers very well and has a satin finish. Do a search.

3. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Johnstone's satin oil is good according to the old boys that still use it. I like acrylics but maybe consider waterbased alkyd. Same as oil but uses water as the delivery vs oil

4. Astramax

Astramax Screwfix Select

Any good?

5. dvddvd

dvddvd Well-Known Member

Thanks anybody tried the B dec satinwood?

6. chillimonster

chillimonster Screwfix Select

yep, I'm an old boy , I'll face up to it. Johnno's OB Satin is good, also have
    water based . Sometimes I toss a coin. Cleaning of the brushes usually
    sways the decision. Will still use 0/B on the handrails.

Any other old boys out there wanna give me some tips on puttying. Today's
    effort was poor, do about three or four glass replacements a year. Never
    gets any better.

7. Astramax

Astramax Screwfix Select

Your a little late to the show.;), Bedec Aqua is brilliant as are all Bedec products.:)

8. BiancoTheGiraffe

BiancoTheGiraffe Screwfix Select

Crown Fast Flow got recommended to me on here a while back. I'm very happy with it, much better finish than any water based satin I've used before.

Just make sure you always give it a good stir, even if it's only been stood still a couple of days. The element that gives it it's ability to flow nicely seems to separate from the paint itself

Astramax likes this.
  9. jimoz

jimoz Screwfix Select

Leyland rubbish like you say, I learnt the hard way.
    Armstead water based in old place, was actually good, resistant to marks and obviously doesn't yellow.
    Used crown fast flow in new place as advised on here. It looks ok but I don't think its as durable as the Armstead. I think the armstead is like a synthetic water based which gives it a bit more oomph!
    They have been using crown on the job I was last on but not the fast flow. It looks pretty good not sure if you can get "non fast flow" water based crown.

10. jimoz

jimoz Screwfix Select

For instance if the cleaner rubs the hoover along the skirting rather than constantly butting up to it you can get a black like with this crown, never had that with Armstead

11. Astramax

Astramax Screwfix Select

:eek:....Black line, crikey how old is the vacuum cleaner.:confused:

12. jimoz

jimoz Screwfix Select

its a henry, all pro cleaners use them!

13. Astramax

Astramax Screwfix Select

I also use a Henry (Green) use the nozzle for the edges and not the shoe.....problem solved! ;)

14. jimoz

jimoz Screwfix Select

I have told her about it and the words I used were the paint here is ****. We never had this problem in the old place.

Was I right in my assumption that the Armstead is more of a synthetic whereas the fast flow is more of a traditional water based? You can even smell the armstead when you pop the lid and it smells a bit "chemically". Just speaking from experience i've had both, no financial interest in Akzonobel!

15. Astramax

Astramax Screwfix Select

Really can't say as I have never used Armstead....used gallons of FastFlow Gloss though without any problem even in my own home! :)

16. jimbobby

jimbobby Member

How do you eliminate brush lines in bedec MSP ?
    jim

17. Astramax

Astramax Screwfix Select

Use synthetic paint brushes such as Wooster, Purdy .......also get use to the new normal.;)

jimbobby likes this.
  18. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Depending on the surface profile / size / etc / get it on quick with a 4inch roller then immediately lay off with a brush

The harder compound black foam rollers leave less air bubbles than the soft white foam type and don’t roll too fast / again, encourages bubbles

But again, if painting fiddly stuff, plastic downpipe, eg, a roller isn’t gonna help you

Using any water based paint is like learning to paint for the first time - as Astra touches on above

jimbobby likes this.
  19. jimbobby

jimbobby Member

Thanks
    have used the Sikkens water based rubbol on numerous panel doors here.
    Bit thin so lots of coats....purdy brush.
    What is the best version for satin finish and ease of use at this moment in time for my son in law who has kids and is not a 'painter'.
    Probably going on top of old styles gloss (not seen the house yet)
    Also , Have seen that some satins are up 500g/l of VOC...are these similar in performance ( opacity) to the old paints which I liked(apart from smell)
    cheers

jim

20. Astramax

Astramax Screwfix Select

The best paint to perform like an old oil base is Crown Trade FastFlow, you will require the primer/undercoat and either the satin or gloss top coat, the system is one undercoat and two top coats on previously painted surfaces, if new timber two primer/undercoats and two top coats. Follow instruction's on container or read Data sheet (online), sand and clean surfaces prior to painting is the key, clean brushes with warm soapy water. You will not be disappointed with the finish........failing that use Johnstone's Aqua. ;)

4" rollers I use felt, mohair or microfibre for painting timber with water base paint, laid off with a Purdy monarch.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2021