Best skirting board adhesive?

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by ben100, Jul 6, 2018.

1. ben100

ben100 Member

What is the best adhesive to use to stick skirting board to plastered wall, would gripfill be fine?

2. AlvyChippy

AlvyChippy Active Member

depending on wall (painted-not?, damp-not?; straight-not?) skirting (MDF, Soft-wood, Hardwood), size...
    Gripfill (grey- solvent based) is the strongest, best, optimal adhesive IMHO

Jord86 likes this.
  3. You cannot beat using screws and plugs if it is a brick or block wall,ovals or cuts if it is a stud wall.
    I have seen lots of skirting coming away because it was just glued.
    It may be old fashioned and more work but you cannot beat mechanical fixing in my opinion.

Peter208 likes this.
  4. ben100

ben100 Member

Ok I will use gripfill. It's MDF skirting, it's just a few small areas on different walls where they have been taken off to damp proof & re-board & plaster which they will eventually be painted, would it be ok to stick them back on before painting straight onto the plaster when dry?

5. AlvyChippy

AlvyChippy Active Member

Myself I given up on drilling Skirts long time ago... if ever got to it's on old damp walls, but even then, I'd use PU adhesive and pin's- yet to see come-back.

if old (painted) skirt, old plastered, re'plastered (painted in-between)... then perhaps odd screw would be better, than just sticking it.
    Also, when gripfill'ing it, got to be fairly quick to stick it on (~10mins max), if not, got to squirt a bit on skirt AND wall and couple of pins - as old saying goes "stick like shi4 to the blanket..." :p

6. jimoz

jimoz Screwfix Select

I prefer grippo too although a lot in the trade say it skins up too quick. Don't know if they're gluing a whole room at a time but I do a length at a time then fix.

Working with a crowd at the minute who like sumo. I'd never heard of it but it does seem good stuff. Bit too silicone like for me but sticks well.

I only pin if stud or dryline. Screw solid wall

7. AlvyChippy

AlvyChippy Active Member

Mdf is just thick paper, it does expand exposed to moisture, if only pins, got to get them plentiful, but I would have some gripfill or PU for the sake of it ;)

8. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

'Sticks like', 'stixall' and the like are preferable. More expensive, but more like the consistency of silicon. Good grab and don't skin over.

masterdiy likes this.
  9. Cecilb70

Cecilb70 Active Member

I'll use anything but in winter in an unheated house i use the Ms polymer stuff as it's easier and less viscous.

Multiskillmaster likes this.
  10. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Havent used anything but expanding foam for years.

Use a plant sprayer to mist the wall.

Couple of neat beads of foam with a gun.

Offer it up and put something heavy against it for 10 mins.

Works absolutely fantastically.

gpierce likes this.
  11. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Pink grip. Use like contact adhesive. Blob evey 400mm. Push on skirting then pull off Make sure adhesive is stuck to wall and wood. Add a bit more if needed. Place back and give it a jolly good tap.

12. Sheebi

Sheebi New Member

Plugs and screws Ftw

13. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

As soon as you have tried using a quality foam gun to fix skirtings you will not go back to gripfill or screws/plugs. So fast and the hold is superb.

Wayners and AlvyChippy like this.
  14. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

+1 for foam. Try it, you'll like it :p

15. AlvyChippy

AlvyChippy Active Member

Got to agree, on non hardwood skirt perhaps the best option as it is held decent enough, easy to work with, possible to remove/clean in case of poop happening, gives equal damp resistant coat...
    Yup!

16. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

I use it for absolutely all skirting now. clear finish or painted. MDF or solid. Works great for all.

17. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Brilliant Low expansion foam I guess?

18. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

I use any old foam to be honest. As long as its for a foam gun. Couple of 25mm beads full length work great.

Also does seem to provide a little more sound and thermal insulation too. Recently been working on a really old property and househoulder has said the new skirtings seem to kill the noise transfer more.

Morgz123 likes this.
  19. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

So go along the length and push on. Do you have to hold or put something up against skirting to hold it tight against wall for 10 mins?

20. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Yep, like a tool box or similar. Or on occasions you can use wooden braces to hold everything while the foam goes off.

Did all this panelling using just foam and the odd dab of mitrebond to hold it while it went off. The narrow corridor was full of braces like something out of Indiana Jones! panelling2.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
    bowen192, mr moose, RolandK and 4 others like this.