Best skirting board adhesive?

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by ben100, Jul 6, 2018.

1. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

@goldenboy Nice work. Well walking through B&Q I seen a doitall own brand foam gun so I treated myself. Don't do much woodwork these days although I have used foam on 1900s skirting to fix if it's loose. I'll give it ago. Always wanted a foam gun and now I have one

2. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Couple of top tips, never ever clean it. Just leave a can on and only remove it when you have another to go straight on. Just let the tiny bit of foam on the end harden each time and just trim it off with a stanley knife. You should get at least 25 cans through before it gives up.

Second if you need to get foam into a tiny gap just push a silicone nozzle on the end. Works great.

Thanks for the compliments on the work. It was an enjoyable job.

chillimonster and Jord86 like this.
  3. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

@goldenboy Thanks for advice. Brilliant. When gun blocks do you use foam eater of buy another? And is it a good idea to pull trigger every week to keep it going?

4. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Gun shouldnt really ever block.

With a can on everything behind the needle is kept liquid.

My guns fall apart/get broke in the van rather than block.

No need to use it to keep it working.

But then again mine is used every week at least.

Wayners likes this.
  5. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Mick McGuire and AlvyChippy like this.
  6. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Wayners likes this.
  7. Woody001

Woody001 New Member

Goldenboy, that is such a nice job, looks fantastic.
    I realise this thread is back in July, but having got to the point in my project where I need to start fixing the skirting to both old brick/plaster and stud walls now, I'm keen to try this approach. Probably a silly question, but I'd rather ask! Do you mist the walls with just water? And, do you have to mist the skirting board? I'm probably going to use an MDF skirting.

Many thanks,
    Woody.

goldenboy likes this.
  8. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

Having used foam myself extensively, I only mist when the surface is dusty. The stuff sticks like the proverbial to a blanket anyway. And it makes your fingers go black.

9. Woody001

Woody001 New Member

Thanks, all surfaces are clean and dust free, so I should just lay a couple of beads of foam along the skirting and good to go?
    I've yet to purchase the skirting and I'm probably a week away from fitting in reality.

I've used expanding foam around windows/doors and around beams into walls to insulate, but never thought of using it to fix skirting boards.

10. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

You can use it to stick virtually anything, it is an outstanding product within the construction industry.

Woody001 likes this.
  11. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Use foam eater as you go to spray the end to keep clean. B@Q still best value gun at £10 ish

12. Woody001

Woody001 New Member

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
  13. Mat1988

Mat1988 New Member

I use Insta stik with a couple of pins to hold while it go offs .

Woody001 likes this.
  14. Severntrent

Severntrent Screwfix Select

Interesting thread. My son has some skirting to fix to a wall that has been plastered and so the DPC blue bricks are 15 -20mm back from the wall face. Will using large blobs of foam every so often do the trick are is a continuous run required and is the gap to large to be addressed by glueing with foam. Otherwise its back to spacer pieces and screw fixing which I know will work and never come adrift

15. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Foam will be fine.

16. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

No. Here..Foam eater in spray can.. It will spray like any tin of spray, or you can pop the top then screw on gun to blow through and clean out. Trouble I had was the end getting fouled up and cleaning it with knife damaged it, then it won't shut off and can oozed out a bit. Spray keeps a clean end o_OYou can also use mastic gun plastic spout / nozzles for really fine work just held on the end of gun. Try not to let gun get knocked about as very top heavy and don't remove can until you think it's getting low in foam. Then get a new foam can on so keep spares. If foam goes hard in your gun it's dead

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
  17. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Thanks for the compliments. It was an enjoyable job.

As for the skirting. Yes if its dusty a quick spray of water will aid adhesion.

Dont spray the MDF skirting though

Good luck with it.

18. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

If mitre bond worked on the larger frames why would you bother to make braces in the hall?
    Surely that would be more time consuming.

How did you bend the panelling to fit the curved wall?

19. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

The mastic nozzle trick is a great one.

A Polish carpenter passed that tip on to me.

I showed him how to superglue cuts to stop claret getting all over your work.

When you get thinking about it there are so many uses for expanding foam.

20. Woody001

Woody001 New Member

I thought I'd give an update.
    Following all of your advice I've completed the skirting now. I would like to say thank you so for the help, the house looks lovely now with the new for and finished skirting.

The application and use of the foam was so easy, two beads roughly 20mm diameter and the some flooring packs and clamps to keep the joints tight and it's all worked brilliantly!

Thanks again.

CGN likes this.