Best use of spare circuits on my board.

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by jj, May 27, 2004.

1. jj

jj New Member

Installed a 12way split load board many years ago (for future expansion)

I currently have it as follows:

ELCB Protected
    Kitchen ring
    Downstairs ring
    upstairs ring

Non protected
    downstairs lights
    upstairs lights
    garage (own elcb)

My extensions will include a loft, single storey rear, double storey side.

I have 3 spare circuits on each side of the board, so what would be the best use of them ?

I'll need one for the smoke alarms, and another for the shower going in the loft. Should I give the loft it's own ring and lighting circuits and just extend the existing rings and lighting circuits for the rest of the extension ?

i.e.

Protected
    kitchen ring
    downstairs ring (extended to new extension)
    upstairs ring (extended to new extension)
    loft Ring

Non protected
    downstairs lights (extended to new extension)
    upstairs lights (extended to new extension)
    loft lights
    garage (own elcb)
    loft shower (own elcb)
    smoke alarms

cheers

2. plugwash

plugwash New Member

i hope you mean rcd and not elcb (you almost certainly do)

your layout seems fine to me

3. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

hi jj

your circuit arrangement appears to be okay as described. One point to keep in mind though (apologies if you all ready know!). As you are installing an electric shower in to your loft it becomes a special location (rooms containing a bath or shower) and in particular there are rules for "Other rooms containing a shower cubicle". This has major implications on your wiring as to supplementary bonding requirements and positions of power points. To comply with the regs you must carry out supplementary bonding in zones 1 and 2, ie the shower itself, and ensure no sockets are placed within 3 metres of the shower cubicle (zone 3 is between 0.6m and 3m radius measured from the extremety of the cubicle). The sockets installed in the room must also be protected by a 30mA rcd. As your proposal is to include the loft ring on the RCD protected side that will comply.

Roy

4. jj

jj New Member

i hope you mean rcd and not elcb (you almost
    certainly do)

your layout seems fine to me

OK, RCD, formally known as elcb (told you it was a while ago)

5. plugwash

plugwash New Member

at one stage the term elcb was used at least by amuters to refer to a rcd (rcds are essentially the modern equivilent of elcbs)

but what is generally refered to as an elcb is a voltage operated device which has two seperate earth terminals for supply and load

6. Dewy

Dewy New Member

First time I came across Earth Leakage Contact Breakers (elcb) was when all new buildings had to have them fitted in South Africa over 30 years ago. They were in a small new factory & the machinery was constantly tripping them.

7. jj

jj New Member

Thanks for bringing me up-to-date. Next you'll be telling me they no longer use lead and cotton insulation ! ;)