Best way to adjust offset inlet pipe on one side?

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by SeanyK, Dec 6, 2017.

1. SeanyK

SeanyK New Member

Hey folks, our bedroom radiator needed replacing, it was an older style 'imperial' radiator with a width of 1980mm.

Obviously nowadays those sizes are different, so I chose an 1800mm radiator to replace it with, figuring I need to make up 180mm (90 either side)
    Anyhow, I fitted the brackets, and now, although it sits perfectly level, and equal distance from the wall all the way, I noticed the inlet and outlet pipes that come from the floor each side, one comes out 1" from the wall, the other comes out 1 1/2" from the wall.

The 1 1/2" lines up perfectly with the radiator connection, whereas the other side, the radiator is 'sticking out too far' and there is not much movement in the pipe.

The brackets are already turned to their thinnest way of mounting, so I am at a loss on what to do - The previous radiator was one of the old thin single styles (this is still a single panel but the newer style) and so I guess 1" was an ok distance from the wall with older ones.

The only thing I can immediately think of (short of asking a plumber to add some sort of bend to the copper pipe and then re-sit the valve on top).
    Given it is only half an inch out, I pull the carpet back a bit, and could see the floorboard cut stops at the end of the pipe, so if I were to cut another small chunk in front of that pipe, then the pipe could possibly be pulled that extra half inch outward - is this a viable option?

When I checked under the carpet it looked like black paint or some sort of tar on the floorboards, given it is a 1970's house, that could either be remnants of vinyl tiles or bitumen paint, which both more than likely contain asbestos so I don't fancy cutting into those, especially not in a bedroom, but perhaps such a small cut would be ok given I wear a P3 mask when doing so.

Anyone have any better ideas? :(

2. fostyrob

fostyrob Active Member

Is there any suggestion that there have been asbestos containing tiles on the floor- would be unusual in a bedroom? I suspect either it is just bitumen (no reason for it to contain asbestos) or paint.

I would start by carefully taking a bit out of the floor board with a multitool or similar to see if there will be enough movement in the pipes- but be careful not to damage the pipe! I assume going with the shorter radiator has not left the radiator tails too far apart?

3. SeanyK

SeanyK New Member

Hi Rob, the tails are quite far apart, unfortunately it was one of those irritating sizes of radiators, it did not really need to be so big on the wall, but given I didn't want to move pipes, figured I'd get the closest size I could, I bought these to extend the gap with
    [​IMG]

As all the others seemed harder to fit, i'll use loctite 55 on the male threads and a bit of tru blu on the female threads if needed.

No suggestion of asbestos tiles, but the downstairs lounge and hallway, had these 'Marley' tiles which are still in situ just underneath the underlay / carpet, I guess it was more hassle to remove them! So I just assume with it being a 70s house, they had those terrible tiles everywhere lol, the other bedrooms just have plain wooden floorboards, it's only this bedroom that has the darker colour, here is a photo of the room in question (this is a couple of years ago when we moved in so no carpets down at the time;

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
  4. teabreak

teabreak Well-Known Member

Possibility it might be residue from a foam backed carpet too.

5. teabreak

The picture looks like paint or stain.

6. SeanyK

SeanyK New Member

Yeah, it would make more sense to be stain or something like that rather than lino residue, but I did think for the amount I would be cutting (1/2 an inch) it's potentially negligible whatever it is, I figured maybe a wood chisel might be the safer way to go, just knock a little bit more out of the existing gap and see if the pipe moves a bit, and if it does..bingo!

7. teabreak

Slip a bit of something between the pipe and board to protect the pipe from a chisel slip, a bit of sturdy plastic or a bit of thin metal (a bit of tin can but watch your fingers on the edges:D) would do.

8. SeanyK

SeanyK New Member

Good idea thank you! :)

9. SeanyK

SeanyK New Member

So I did this last night, I am still waiting for the pipe extensions to arrive later today but I used a valve extension (not the one i'll be using) just as an example to see if it lined up.

After chiselling underneath it seems the pipe actually comes from that direction, there is a little bit more movement now, and if I line up the pipe to the radiator, it is pulled a little bit but nothing extreme, photos for example;

(The radiator left bracket just needs dropping down ever so slightly I know!)

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. teabreak

Yup! looks like you have got it sorted.☺

11. nigel willson

nigel willson Well-Known Member

Looks on the **** to me!

12. SeanyK

SeanyK New Member

That's just an example photo, I was not using those pipe extensions, the real one is here :)

[​IMG]

13. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Well-Known Member

Sorry but I cannot stand those extension bars, looks awful, If it were my house I would have lifted a floor board and altered the pipe. I woukd have also taken the opportunity to get rid of the wheelhead valve and fit a TRV. Granted you have an issue downstairs with the asbestos tiles on the floor.

Hindsites a wonderful tool and your obviously happy with it which is the main thing.

14. SeanyK

SeanyK New Member

Hi Dave, I definitely agree moving the pipes achieves a better look but I am by no means a plumber and so the thought of doing that was very much a daunting prospect, this way allowed me to do it all myself.

The TRV is on the other side although I would love to replace that wheel head valve as it looks very brown and old! Not sure how tough it is to change, the cap is only held in by a screw so maybe as simple as that...

15. nigel willson

nigel willson Well-Known Member

Glad to hear it! Wouldn’t accept that in my house though! Get the floor up , get someone in to do it for you! Better job in the long run, I’ve found they quite often leak when I’ve HAD to use them!

16. The Teach

The Teach Active Member

have you got any more radiators to exchange ? if so consider imperial sized radiators from 'Myson premier He'

have used them for exchanges and usually they are the exact length of just need very short extension pieces,never more than 20mm (2x10mm extensions)

Got to love your pipe extensions thou :)