Best way to attach a piece of timber to a solid wall?

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by JT101, Jan 16, 2018.

1. JT101

JT101 New Member

Hi
    I'm just wondering how other people attach timber such as 4 x 2" to solid brick or block walls, such as fixing the end of a stud wall, or something that is taking a bit more load.

I was taught the method whereby you drill straight through the timber with a masonry bit into the wall, then hammer the screw and rawlplug through the timber into the wall, and finish off by tightening the screw such as here:

A similar method requiring more effort is to fix a central screw and rawl plug, then pilot the remaining holes to get a mark on the wall. Spin the timber, then insert the rawl plugs, then put the timber level again and screw through the timber.

Another method I've seen is using masonry torx frame fixings.

And finally, you have frame/hammer fixings.

I would imagine the first method is the most often used on site because it is the fastest, but I do feel this may be a bit weak since it is only the head of the screw hold the timber in place.

Just wanted some opinions on what methods people use and why i.e. the pros and cons.

Thanks

2. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Whatever is appropriate for the job. Tapcons, plugs and screws, concrete screws, rawl bolts, threaded bar with chemical anchor, thunderbolts, shot firing, masonry nailing, hammer fixings, sleeve anchors, coach screws and plugs, the list is ongoing.

KIAB likes this.