Best way to attach flexi tails to plastic

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Jo_G, Jul 12, 2020.

1. Jo_G

Jo_G New Member

Hi everyone, first time posting on here so hopefully this isn't a silly question.

I've just bought a new mixer tap for the bathroom sink which comes with the standard female flexi tails. The main pipework up through the floor to the sink is plastic, currently connected to copper pipe from the existing tap with push fit.

My question is - what is the best way to attach the new flexi tails to the plastic pipe? Is there a compression fitting suitable for plastic or is there a more suitable alternative?

Thanks

2. AnotherTopJob

AnotherTopJob Screwfix Select

Assuming the flexi tail has a compression fitting at the end, you can connect it to the plastic pipe, but you need to use an insert.

Mr Toad likes this.
  3. Jo_G

Jo_G New Member

Thanks. I just double checked and the ones it comes with have 1/2" female ends, not compression fit.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2020
  4. JustPhil

JustPhil Active Member

there’s a few ways to skin this particular cat. probably easiest cheapest and best approach is to use these; https://www.screwfix.com/p/compress...cYELLnZTR3FH0bx-xukaAowfEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds
    As you can see there’s a 1/2” thread to attach your tap tails, and t’other end is a compression fit to go onto your plastic pipe. You’ll need to add plain (not superseal - the ones with o rings) inserts to the plastic pipe before making a compression connection. This prevents the plastic collapsing.
    When working with plastic pipes it’s good to identify the brand of pipe and look for fittings to fit. Any can take the compression fitting I’ve advised but ideally you’d get the right insert.
    Let’s assume you’re pipe is jg speedfit, in which case you can actually get a speedfit to 1/2” adapter instead of my linked item, and avoid compression fit. You’ll still need an insert. An alternative is to throw away the flexi you have and get a speedfit flexi - has connector at one end to slide directly onto plastic (still needs insert) and m10 or m12 thread as appropriate to screw into taps.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2020
  5. Jo_G

Jo_G New Member

Fantastic, thanks for all the info. I'll try and have a look to see if I can find the make of pipe, and will see what the best option looks like.
    Thanks again!

6. rogerk101

rogerk101 Screwfix Select

What JustPhil really means is to put it on Freecycle or Freegle ... not throw it away ... as one man's junk is another man's treasure! :)

7. Novice J

Novice J New Member

Just had a similar problem (but the plastic wasn't pushfit but screw/slide on with rubber and plastic washers) where I changed a leaky and sqeaky astracast monobloc kitchen mixer tap. Bought a new tap and it came with M12mm x 3/4' x 300mm x 8mm bore flexi tails. The old tap was M12mm x 15mm coppertails (which are not worth removing as there ancient) connected to plastic pipe work so rather than messing with couplers I just bought some new M12mm x 15mm x 300mm copper tails for around £8.50 of a well known auction site as I couldn't seem to buy them from screwfix,shame.Sold the flexi on the fleabay.
    If anyone has an idea of a better plan I'd love to know? Hopefully this will help out another novice like myself.
    IMG_20210119_033007_700.jpg
    2021-02-03 19.32.05.png

Last edited: Feb 3, 2021