Best way to cover dark blue matt emulsion

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by TheMixMonkey, Nov 30, 2020.

1. TheMixMonkey

TheMixMonkey New Member

Hi guys

Looking for a bit of advice. I currently have a lot of very dark blue/black matt paint on the walls (not my choice yuk) I want to over paint it with a much lighter color, probably cream/magnolia vinyl silk . What's the best way of hiding it, guessing an undercoat but not sure. Don't really want to spend a fortune on something i wont see, preferring to spend more on a good quality top coat.

Any advice most welcome :)

Last edited: Nov 30, 2020
  2. Hans_25

Hans_25 Screwfix Select

I think it was Astramax who suggested grey is a good colour to cover with, a lightish shade, not too dark but obviously not so light its nearly white.

3. Dr Decorator

Dr Decorator Active Member

Give it a good sand, then white wash, then colour on top.
    Just finished another job using that method

JayCee2020 likes this.
  4. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

It's what you don't see is where the money goes....................preparation.;)

Hans_25 likes this.
  5. Hans_25

Hans_25 Screwfix Select

Prior Planning and Preparation Prevents **** Poor Performance.

You could use a coat of white or grey, after filling, to better see the imperfections and ensure a really nice finish. Only once the surface is as smooth as, do you roll on the final colour.

With such a dark colour, I'd be tempted to put 2 or may be 3 coats of a lighter shade on top until you can no longer see the dark colour at all and that is plenty of coats for sanding/filling etc

6. AnotherTopJob

AnotherTopJob Screwfix Select

A cheap contract white matt emulsion works well as an undercoat on dark colours.

7. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Regardless of how light or dark the colour to be covered is, isn’t blue one of those colours that’s hard to blank over and turn white ?

Something about the pigment in blue that makes the colour blue and harder to cover than some other colours ,,,,, but could be wrong

Light grey emulsion first and then 2 topcoats of white would be how I tackle those walls

But after all that, the OP’s gonna be lashing on Vinyl Silk Paint :eek:,,,,,,,,,, what a shame

8. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Oh! .....Silk, I just read that :eek:. Havn't used Silk in years, is it still made? Soft Sheen on textured wallpaper or matt on smooth walls these days.

9. JayCee2020

JayCee2020 Active Member

Oh, out of curiosity I have to ask, what is wrong with vinyl silk paint, DIYDave?

10. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Well clearly, it’s all down to personal choice and I’m only having a laugh but,,,,,

I just find silk paint far too shiny, plastic looking, like something from a hospital ward, school classroom or industrial unit

Get that it’s washable but if that’s what your after, a durable washable paint, many more options available that don’t have that plastic/silk finish

Bathroom/kitchen paints are extremely tough, resistant to steam and grease and are washable. They do have a slight sheen to them, even if the tin says Matt but, again, not over shiny

For living areas, I’ve used Dulux Endurance - now re-branded as Easy Care. A good washable emulsion, available in Matt, but does have a very slight sheen to it but it’s fine

Also with silk, when you come to redecorate, it can be problematic. It doesn’t like to be sanded down as it simply tears and over painting with regular emulsion can sometimes cause the silk underneath to bubble and blister

But apart from all that, it’s great stuff ;)

11. JayCee2020

JayCee2020 Active Member

You're a sweetheart, thank you for such an informative reply, Dave.

As I have fur-monsters, I have to use durable but stick to water-based ones.

The vinyl silk stuff reminds me of the face masks that women buy to plaster on themselves then peel off in one stretchy sheet.

And that's another tip.. until today, I never knew decorators sanded down painted walls before repainting.

12. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

I don't expect you did..................decorators don't stay long enough in your house to get that far judging by what you and Nannook have written.;):D

JayCee2020 likes this.
  13. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Thanks for the compliment and as for ‘such an informative reply’ ..... just ask Astra !!

I have a habit of typing a hundred words when 20 would do ! Good job I’m fast with my fingers :p .... and I like a natter also

Durable paint and water based - no problem here. If your talking walls, all the emulsion I mentioned and many more are all water based. Also Crown Extreme Clean is good

Trim paints (woodwork) again, huge choice of water based paints - they’ve taken over from oil / solvent based in popularity

Nice one about silk paint being compared to a face mask :) Also reminds me of melted Mozzarela Cheese !

As for you didn’t know decorators sanded down walls prior to painting .... well, I’m a chef by trade and a diy’er when it comes to decorating but sanding walls between painting is basic prep in my books - and many others I’m sure

Newly plastered - light sand
    Mist coat - light sand
    2 top coats (sanding between probably not necessary)

Only talking about light sanding here (dependant on quality of plastering) Either light rub over with P120 (even worn 120 so it’s slightly blunt, good way of recycling used sandpaper) or P180 for just a tickle

Thorough dust down in-between

It’s all in the prep - it really is ;)

14. JayCee2020

JayCee2020 Active Member

Oh behave, naughty Astramax! I made an apple streudel for my fellas for tomorrow's teatime treat and there's plenty of toilet paper just in case.. :p

15. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Yeah whatever you do, do not ask Dave how to boil an Egg, you could cook and eat it by the time he's written an informative reply!!!!:p:p:p

PS, never ask him if he washes or wipes!:eek::eek::confused::D:)

16. JayCee2020

JayCee2020 Active Member

That's an Essex special, Dave!

A tickle and fast fingers, I bet you're booked up solid until 2025 :D

Quick question if you don't mind, are the trim paints as hard as a traditional gloss finish? I have high traffic areas and people are always catching their shoes or luggage on skirtings, as I'm redecorating at the moment I wondered what a non-oil equivalent would be - have tried Dulux's water based gloss, but wasn't impressed and despite it being 'gloss', still find it rather dull and easy to scuff.

I need to up my game in the prep department, although did get a compliment this evening re. my wallpapering - good thing they hadn't their glasses on and the light was off ;)

17. JayCee2020

JayCee2020 Active Member

That sounds like a whole 'I'm A Celebrity' episode :eek:

18. Dr Decorator

Dr Decorator Active Member

Only used silk once, about 1994-95

Astramax likes this.
  19. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Favourite 'senor citizens' silk paint shades were:- Magnolia, Terracotta or Peach tones ;)

20. Hans_25

Hans_25 Screwfix Select

My mum is a fan of Magnolia vinyl silk :oops:

Astramax likes this.