Best way to cut mdf

Discussion in 'Tool Talk' started by Jimmer, Apr 10, 2019.

1. Jimmer

Jimmer New Member

I'm planning to make myself some shelves for my house with MDF and will need to cut the sheets to size. I currently only have a jigsaw and handsaw so think that I will need to invest in a tool to cut them somewhat precisely.

After a bit of google searching I think the most affordable way would be to use a circular saw so the question is which one to get, I think i can stretch my budget to £150 but would ideally like to keep it to around £100.

I have a DeWalt and Bosch battery both 2ah from what I've read these might not be big enough to run a circular saw?

After having a look at the ones on screwfix there seems to be quite a difference with the bore size does this refer to the thickness of the blades that it can take, is a bigger value better? For example the DeWalt DWE560 has a 16mm bore and the Bosch GKS 190 has a 30mm.

Am i much better off spending more than twice the price of a Titan TTB286CSW to get the likes of a Bosch, DeWalt or Makita?

TL:DR What do you recommend i get to cut 8x4 MDF ideally around £100

2. furious_customer

furious_customer Screwfix Select

If it's for a one-off job (or two-off etc.) could you not just get it cut to size at B&Q?

If not, I have the Titan tracksaw and it's great for this task - although the track length is 1.4m, so if you need to cut the entire length of the boards you will need to stop and move the track - which could introduce an inaccuracy.

tore81 likes this.
  3. LEH

LEH Active Member

Certainly a useful thing to have if you're going to do more stuff in the future. If not, just get them cut to order. Doesn't have to be B&Q either, my local timber yard will cut sheet goods to order for a nominal charge.

I have the DWE560 and it's decent. 24 tooth blade vs the 16 on the Bosch.

4. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

Using power tools with MDF dust extraction and a dust mask should be used it has a bad reputation as the dust is very fine.

tore81 and LEH like this.
  5. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

A timber yard would sell MDF sheet and cut it to your requirements at little cost, saves all the struggling humping it about.

6. Jimmer

Jimmer New Member

I was planning on making a bit more than just a couple of shelves, thought I would pick something easy as my first job.

I looked into track saws but came to the conclusion that I could do the same with a circular saw and could just make a track at a later date should I need one. 1.4m is also a bit short.

Are the 2ah batteries that I have too small for the bare cordless units?

What is it that makes the likes of the Bosch & DeWalt twice the price of the Titan?

I could get the Bosch and a 40t blade for the same price as the DeWalt more teeth are better?

7. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Availability of spare parts, better component parts such as metal gears not plastic, superior build, more teeth are for a finer cut and also depends on what material you are cutting.

8. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

For £100, just get the 240v evolution circular saw, a length of straight CLS and two 6" solo speed clamps. All you need.

stevie22 likes this.
  9. Jimmer

Jimmer New Member

Why do you think the evolution circular saw over a Bosch or DeWalt? It kind of bugs me that they only recommend to use their blades and I want something that will last and be precise, I was just reading about a Titan saw that wasn't cutting straight whats to say the evolution doesn't do the same?

10. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Because you can't have the penny and the bun for £100. And there's no guarantee Dewalt or Bosch will be totally precise. The evolution saw is £50 odd, with what I suggested you'd have change out of a hundred and have a corded saw that won't run out of charge or power like a cordless one would, with clamps and a straightedge it will be as accurate as you can be. I owned an evolution for four years, faultless for the money, the blades worth £25 all day long. You can use whatever brand of blade you want provided the diameter and bore size match. Get a Dewalt or Bosch by all means, but it's a bit of a waste if you're only going to use it once or twice a year.

WillyEckerslike likes this.
  11. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Best way to cut MDF is to take a drawing cutting list to a timber yard who will work out using a computer programme the best way to cut the sheet to get the most from it, cut it nice and square for you and put it in your van, take it home and assemble it in kit form. ;)

12. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

Track saws are great bit of kit! Trouble you got buy cheap by twice that has happend to me.

I don't use mine too much but it's always there and makes life easier.

Making shelves you could clamp a straight edge and work out the distance of the blade so you know where to measure from.

13. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Either get it cut at timber yard,or Titan track saw. Or circular saw as jord meentioned, or why not a good sharp handsaw!

14. Jimmer

Jimmer New Member

Ok, I see how it would probably be easier to get the timber yard to cut the mdf or a cheap circular saw. So I guess I shall rephrase my question; If I want to get into woodworking as a hobby what tools should I buy with a £100-150 budget, I've already got a combi drill, jigsaw, handheld router and a multi tool.

15. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

16. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Titan plunge saw or chop saw.

chippie244 likes this.
  17. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

A good vacuum/extractor. You'll use it with all of your other tools especially if you're working MDF.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2019
    chippie244 likes this.
  18. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Must read posts better :oops:

19. Jimmer

Jimmer New Member

Just been searching other stores for plunge saws and at the orange one they have a Mac Allister plunge saw in clearance for £70 is this just a rebranded titan?

20. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

All Kingfisher.