Best way to cut mdf

Discussion in 'Tool Talk' started by Jimmer, Apr 10, 2019.

1. Jimmer

Jimmer New Member

So it's the same saw just £40 off?

2. big all

big all Screwfix Select

2 ah is a bit on the low side for a circular saw but would just mean constant swapping off batteries
    you can get a dewalt 4ah battery for between £42-48 by shopping around
    the good thing about li-ions over older batteries is you can charge the battery at any time regardless off the batteries level or state off charge

3. robertpstubbs

robertpstubbs Active Member

Is that an electric or hand jigsaw? A jigsaw is a tool designed to make non-straight cuts.

4. Jimmer

Jimmer New Member

So completely off topic now, thought I'd just add to this rather than start a new thread.

After watching some YouTube videos I think I'm inclined to get the track saw it just seems so versatile and precise. But what is the solution if I need to mitre a joint? Is that just as simple as setting my track up on a 45 degree line?

5. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Well-Known Member

I'm not splitting hairs but I actually find my 18v circular more 'versatile' than my track saw because I can do more with it more easily such as ripping down some 3x2 or cutting a slightly wavy line as well as reducing sheet goods using home made tracks BUT the track saw provides such a degree of accuracy and quality of cut (for hand tools at least) that it is my go to tool to cut a straight line especially as there's no dust extraction on my cordless.
    Regarding mitre cutting..... A track saw will cut straight along the line of the splinter guard wherever you put it on your workpiece - at whatever angle you place the track across it. You may have simply watched videos that extol the accuracy of 90° cutting using an MFT or similar set up. It will also cut a straight line along the track if you tilt the blade so you can cut a bevel as well - beyond 45° on some saws.

Just remember which side of the line you wanted to cut when you place the track as what you can see when the track is down is the waste (or make an allowance for the with of the blade).

I hope this helps.