Best way to fill this hole

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by dave andy, Sep 15, 2020 at 10:12 AM.

1. dave andy

dave andy Member

I need to fill this hole in. Best method please. A neighbour gave me some finishing plaster. What tool is best to use please.

Attached Files:

2. I-Man

I-Man Active Member

well ignoring the shoddy pipework, to fill that you'd need something like bonding plaster first - not finishing plaster.

However because of the way the pipes are all just coming out at random angles and that they may not be secured, more than likely any plaster will just crack when there's any movement or wobble in the pipes.

3. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Lightweight filler... The pot feels empty when you pick up. Really need something over the pipes so they can move with the heat before you fill. Thin plasterboard maybe held with foam. Then lightweight fillers over... Got a job on with that

4. furious_customer

furious_customer Active Member

Whatever you do, I think you will want to remove the radiator to make a decent job of it.

5. koolpc

koolpc Screwfix Select

Agreed. Sort out those pipes too.

6. Hans_25

Hans_25 Screwfix Select

A filler like Toupret might work, but agree with FC, best remove the radiator to make access easier. Oh, and sort out the shocking pipe work too :p

7. Ian1980

Ian1980 New Member

Pipes shpuld be wrapped in hair felt before plastering to stop any cracking. Most people dont bother and get away with it but its a gamble.

Do not use filler to fill the hole.

Most plasterers use bonding coat plaster to fill in chases like that. With bonding coat their is a risk if it becoming damp depending on the construction method used to build the house. Its mainly a problem in old red brick houses. That said, most people get away with it but as before, its a gamble. I prefer to use hardwall plaster but really renovating plaster or sand and cement with waterproofer is the right choice if there is any threat of damp.

The finish plaster should only be used to smooth over the backing plaster.

koolpc likes this.