Best way to learn? Advice?

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Ibrahimaziz02, Nov 24, 2018.

1. Ibrahimaziz02

Ibrahimaziz02 New Member

Hi there guys here is a quick question to those who have been in the plumbing and gas industry with years of experience.

How did you guys learn your trade and become confident to do it on your own?

I am asking this question because i really do want to become a good plumber and heating engineer. Im only 19 and i have done my theory side in plumbing and gas. Also i worked for last 2 years as a work experience with different plumbers. But all they made me do is shadow them and just pass them tools here and there and not given me a chance to do much work on practical side?

is there any advice you can give me thanks

2. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Keep watching and learning.

Ibrahimaziz02 and Heat like this.
  3. Heat

Heat Screwfix Select

I learnt to do plumbing work same as you, - slowly.
    Then I did some small jobs on my own, but not with confidence.
    Just takes time and plenty of experience and will depend no doubt on your personality.
    I think we all need a second experienced person to help with the jobs and advice.

Just understand what your limits are and what tasks you know little or nothing about, regardless of your age or experience at any time of your life.

Ibrahimaziz02 and chippie244 like this.
  4. Mike83

Mike83 Screwfix Select

Shadowing and watching is fine. Just pay attention. You will be absorbing so much information that will help when you eventually work by yourself.

Confidence is important.
    Taking on jobs that are way too big or complex initially could dent confidence.
    Initially do jobs that your comfortable with. Don’t bite of more than you can chew.
    Confidence and experience come slowly and you’ll be learning new skills and tricks most days for years to come.

Don’t be scared or embarrassed asking for advice. We do learn from our mistakes but if your unsure about how to tackle a job or methods then ask a fellow pro.

Some of your skills may develop more quickly than others and you may excel in certain tasks. Whilst this is positive don’t make it a habit doing only certain jobs as confidence could drop in other areas as well as not learning new skills.

Everydays a school day so expect good and bad ones.

Ibrahimaziz02 and Heat like this.
  5. Ibrahimaziz02

Ibrahimaziz02 New Member

Thanks for the advice guys :)

6. kiaora

kiaora Screwfix Select

Hi
    When you can have the tool in your hand ready, it will show you really are understanding what’s going on.
    Good luck,

Regards
    Peter

Ibrahimaziz02 likes this.