Best way to level wall before tiling

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by antdoran, Nov 18, 2017.

1. antdoran

antdoran New Member

Hi,

I have attached some photo's below as they will help explain.

This is our only bathroom so I am trying to keep plumbing distributions to an absolute minimum. I.E. I want to have the exposed section of wall ready to a receive a bath including working shower. When it comes to installing the bath it is then hopefully strip out and replace. My concerns is I don't really know how square the corner is that is currently tiled.

I am going to turn my bath around 90 degree's and install a new shower in the new section of stud wall. We want to tile around the bath but as it stands we have two very different surfaces. This corner of the bathroom used to be a cupboard for hot and cold water tanks.

I think my options are;

1- Batten and shim out old section of wall until it is level and flat with the pre existing plastered section. Then install Cement Backer board, bridging the plastered section and the non plastered section. Screw and glue the board to the shimmed battens.

2- Plaster the old section of wall until it is level and flat with the current plaster. Then Tile direct onto the plaster.

3- As above but put backer board on top of plaster before tiles.

4- Re plaster entire wall as one section. (This will mean being without a bath for longer...)

Also, can't work out the damp patch. It must be condensation but not sure how to make it better or if I need to remove that section of plaster. We do have a pretty efficient extractor fan so the bathroom clears within minutes of using the current shower.

What would you guys do?

Thanks in advanced for your thoughts!

Andorran

IMG_9688.JPG IMG_9689.JPG

2. antdoran

antdoran New Member

Didn't see there was a section for tiling specific issues. Post moved!