best way to paint exterior walls of house

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by jabber, Sep 28, 2005.

1. jabber

jabber New Member

hi, i'm wanting to paint the outside walls of our pebble dashed house and wanted to know the "trade" way of doing it, the last house we had i used a roller (one for this purpose) but was really hard work and used loads of paint, plus it was a bungalow so now working up a ladder) i have heard of people spraying the walls but what system would be used to do this? thanks, andy

2. FOREST DECORATORS

FOREST DECORATORS New Member

hi mate
    there is no real easy way of painting pebble dash
    you either use a good wide brush or a roller
    spraying has its own problems too
    for one you have to make sure all your windows and gutters ,sofits are all masked up properly the slighest gap and you will be looking at trouble
    then you have to pick a non windy day or your over spray will be on the neighbours house worst still there car
    also the paint has to be watered down and your be putting on twice trhe amount of coats
    if u choose to go down this spray path go to your local hire shop and speak to them they will advise you on how to mix the paint
    don t use sandstone this will bock the nozzle of the spray gun use smooth
    good luck

3. definatly Handy

definatly Handy New Member

I'm painting one at the moment, really rough cast walls tried everything(but spray) and finally found that a medium size brush (2 1/2 inch max) worked the best.

Takes a bl00dy long while but you get a good finish.

Definatly Handy

4. paintycait

paintycait New Member

I'm with Forest here... decent sized Purdy for cutting in (the soft bristle and the easy cut makes life easier and the job quicker), deep pile 12" roller and a good strong extension pole. It's not easy work but it will give you a good finish.
    Roughcast always uses a lot of paint, don't skimp though on paint or prep, I would maybe thin the first coat by about 5-10% or...my preferred method, add a paint conditioner or primer additive like EmulsaBond http://igoe.ie/cms/content/view/38/45/, this makes the whole system work better and makes the job easier.
    Make sure that you have no mould or moss on that surface before you start and treat accordingly or the paint job will be a waste of time, you'll be doing it again in no time.
    You better get a wiggle on with this..it's getting a bit late to start on an exterior - esp a porpus surface.
    JMO2ยข
    Cait

5. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Personally, I would use a 6" brush, long medium soft bristle(synthetic OK too) brushing in all directions, like painting 'orrible Artex.

The long medium soft bristles tend to get into all the nooks and crannies, and if you find the right softness/stiffness you can get real close to the bits that need cutting in.

Mr. Handyandy - really

6. paintycait

paintycait New Member

OK, Mr H, you could do it like that if you had loads of time on your hands and wanted to save on material. Fine for someone being paid by the hour or someone who has a lot of time on their hands. We normally work on price, we aim for the best quality finish for the best "labour" cost. Why? because labour is the most expensive part of the deal. So even for a home owner who is doing it themselves..the roller is going to give a good quality finish in the best possible time. With a brush you would end up catching runs every 5 minutes apart from anything else and I would only brush artex if it was mediterranean scuff coat style artex. But knock youself out...whatever works for you.
    Cait

7. I'm gonna start a row here but i've done lots of dashed properties brush/roller/spray and it largely comes down to personal choice but on balance we've found this to be the most effective method to time/cost/finish etc.

1) brush (6") on stabilising solution
    2) slightly thinned first coat (brush and roller)
    3) full fat final coat (brush and roller)

loads of dust sheets and work patiently in small sections

8. paintycait

paintycait New Member

David, totally, totally agree. Buuuuttt have you tried the EB. That is one fantastic product, cuts out the need for a stabiliser coat...no seriously...I am the last one to look at cutting corners but it is great. Igoe have two other products that we use regularly the Owatrol and Flowatrol...fantasic. The reduction in labour costs are amazing. They are U.S. products, (developed in Scandinavia, original research done for the marine market) and produced under licence in Ireland by Igoe.
    Cait

9. Cait,
    I've never used it (only heard about it 40 mins and four posts ago!!) Will be looking at it and almost certainly giving it a try. Wait til i tell the lads that there's another product/system to use. I fully expect to be wearing 5 litres of magnolia weathershield before the week is over (weather permitting!!)

David

10. paintycait

paintycait New Member

LOL David, now....just imagine a woman trying to tell guys 10 years her senior that there's a new system.....and I wonder why every item I own has paint on it.
    I used to interview guys, give them the job and then they would turn up at the shop 7 a.m. Monday morning and ask where the boss was. I'd give them the low down...like.."I'm the boss"...I had 3 guys just walk out of the shop straight off muttering "I thought you were the wife/bookeeper/secretary". I soon realised that I had to tell them straight in the interview...if you can't work for a woman, turn round on your heel and don't waste my time...phew, it's a real face off thing, 'cos few guys will say to your face that they won't work for a woman...till you get the employment contract out...then their knees wobble. I still get it now giving specs to guys who are prepping for me.

Try that Owatrol as well...wicked stuff. I hate thinning alkyd eggshell or gloss becuae I recon you get a poor finish/ less lustre etc. but over an Aga or on a hot water system door or similar, gloss or eggshell can really set up fast...that Owatrol solves all the problems; a slow set up, no brushmarks, even finish ...luverrrly. The Flowatrol - see if you have a massive ceiling to coat and only one man to coat it...no worries. No lap lines, get your paint to go further,reduces the lay off time and all that jazz. These are seriously good products.

I remember telling my old boss (after I'd been few yrs in London) about caulk...I just about got a smack in the face...years later (when he started using the stuff) he told me about the day he suggested to his father that they use rollers for ceilings instead of stippling them...
    C

11. I used to get, "so what does your dad do??" he works in an office, why? "so who do i speak to about getting paid monthly/having tommorrow morning off" well that'd be me... "and YOU are sure that'll be ok."

It actually taught me to respect the fact that the guys that work for me respect the fact that i'm younger than them. So many didn't and thought they could take the p**s.