Best way to paint outdoor Concrete patio ?

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Ben48, Oct 18, 2018.

1. Ben48

Ben48 Member

Reason I ask is since I have a friend who painted his garden patio and it flaked off after a few weeks I think due to rain water and walking on perhaps, id like to avoid this if possible !

Could I use Zinsser Bulls eye 123 primer and sealer on my own outdoor Concrete patio, paint with some Sandtex smooth masonry paint and then use Bulls eye 123 again to seal it as a final coat ?

2. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Masonry paints not the right product for this job, even with thorough prep and primers - wrong paint

Take a look at Coo Var Paints

They do some high tech floors paints and have loads of technical advice available

Prep, application and choosing the right product is key for a long lasting finish otherwise, as with your neighbour, your soon gonna wish you never had this crazy idea :eek:

Ben48 likes this.
  3. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Simple answer.............no!

koolpc and Ben48 like this.
  4. Richard_

Richard_ Screwfix Select

Coovar is what you need.

The concrete floor of my garage extends 300 mm in front of the door (it is on the inside edge of the jamb). I used the Coovar outdoor concrete paint years ago and it's still intact, even after driving over it every day.

Ben48 likes this.
  5. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Exactly, my point indeed - use the right product for the right job and but quality - job will last :)

Ben48 likes this.
  6. Richard_

Richard_ Screwfix Select

I dare not think about what they put in it. Any smears on skin seen to last even longer than PU adhesive, definitely need gloves and bin the roller/brush.

A gas mask would help too, I'm not sure I was safe to drive after sniffing that stuff!

Ben48 likes this.
  7. Ben48

Ben48 Member

Thanks for all the replies

Ill ignore "Wikihows outside concrete painting guide" for sure! They want concrete primer, masonry paint or oil/later/water based paint then paint sealer as final coat.....

I was considering this coovar one here:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sure-Grip-..._rd_t=40701&psc=1&refRID=5ZKAK861YJEHETS47VCK

But one reviewer said it lasted a few months then peeled and blistered, maybe the person did not clean and let it dry properly but not sure on that.

I will have to consider using Coovar since I have to wait 3 months for the concrete to cure fully and its not something I want to get wrong since its a focal point in my garden or currently the only nice thing in it !

8. HarDeBloodyHarHar

HarDeBloodyHarHar Active Member

Jeez, you should have had the concrete coloured before laying!

9. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Dynamite the patio....

Much better than wasting your money painting it!

10. Isitreally

Isitreally Super Member

Ben48 likes this.
  11. Ben48

Ben48 Member

Thanks some other options to consider, I did check a random review here of Rustoleum:

It was looking nice till he lifted half the paint off with his hand !

I got the feeling half the bad reviews people have not prepared or cleaned or have moisture issues so it don't work well.

Will keep my options open in the near future.

12. Isitreally

Isitreally Super Member

The Rustoleum has to be laid using their own system as stated on the link, I wonder if that was the case in the vid. ??

13. Ben48

Ben48 Member

Possible he did say briefly under the video

"Surface was prepared according to directions and using rust oleum products"

and then afterwards

"As far as surface prep I did etch it. One whole side of the patio has come off. It Was the side that had smooth concrete. Home depot removed my review off their website and gave me a full refund"

Am glad he got a refund, clearly something else wrong maybe surface was not dry or getting too much moisture not sure really.

This is why I am wondering Concrete almost feels best left alone, it almost needs to breathe and move about and doesn't like people walking over it or painting over it almost !

14. Isitreally

Isitreally Super Member

Didn't have sound on so never heard what was said, but if that's the case, look else where. :)

Ben48 likes this.