Best Way to Repair 'portacabin' Wall

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Combo, Apr 1, 2010.

1. Combo

Combo Member

What's the best way to repair the external walls of this portable building? The plywood walls are coated with what looks like a cement type material, which looks as though it might have been sprayed on. This layer has a rough textured external face and is now starting to peel away in large flakes. The layer is only a few mm thick. Below this top coat layer the plywood walls are now visible and exposed to the weather. There are several areas affected, so I assume that what remains of the protective coating will also fall off in the next few months/years.

Or once it's got to this stage is the cabin beyond economic repair?

The roof is leaking too in one corner, currently covered with a tarpaulin pending (possible) re-felting, but don't want to start this job until I have a plan for the walls.

2. fitero

fitero New Member

The material covering the ply is probably Sandtex high build and its usually put on using a coarse roller/heavy duty.I got all this info off this forum,clever devils,aint they.Any good decorators merchants do it.

3. Removed 4

Removed 4 New Member

It depends how valuable this cabin is - and whether the remaining coating is likely to continue peeling.

You're quite right, the coating is sprayed on, and normally it will last 'forever', but I suspect that a ***** in its armour has started the slow decay.

If it were mine, and of value, I wouldn't bother with patching those areas, I'd fit treated feather-edge weather-boarding screwed direcly to the ply.

Lucia.

4. Combo

Combo Member

There are lots of ****** in the armour of the coating. Hence my initial thoughts it wasn't worth doing anything with.
    IF (big if) I decide it's worth saving, then I do like your idea of over-boarding - hadn't thought of that. Probably quite pricey though - but still less than a brand new shed / cabin of comparable size. Appearance isn't vital , but I would like it to look half decent, as well as being water-tight.

5. Removed 4

Removed 4 New Member

Yes Combo, it might be pricey for decent quality weather boarding, and it'll certainly change the appearance of the building - but to the good, in my estimation.

I'm quite sure that it isn't worth patching the existing coating though, because it'll remain scruffy and unreliable.

However, as I've said, it depends on the value of the building, its use and the cost of its replacement.....

Lucia.

6. Combo

Combo Member

Following on from earlier posts in April about the walls, I have now decided to give this old cabin a new lease of life. First job is to repair the roof, which is leaking in several places.

Looking to do a fair job of the roof - to last 10+ years. Cabin is 10m x 3m. Had thought of;

1) <u>Convert to pitched roof</u> by building / buying roof trusses; then
    1A) OSB over and felt,or
    1B) add purlins and use Onduline/Corroline (corrugated bitumen sheets).
    1X) Have ruled out profile metal sheets due to cost.

2) <u>Keep as flat roof</u>: - Repair damaged sections of roof structure.
    2A) Felt over
    2B) EPDM rubber sheet.

Questions:
    * Any other BETTER ideas guys?

* Are the portacabin walls likely to be strong enough to support the weight of the pitched roof timbers ? (I've not walked around on it given its leaky and potentially rotten state).

* If I go for pitched roof - how would I attach trusses to the existing structure? First secure wall plates ? Then attach trusses to these?

* How is the existing roof likely to be constructed? (I've not pulled down any of the damaged ceiling panels yet to investigate).

Thanks
    Combo

7. nigel

nigel Guest

8. Combo

Combo Member

Thanks for that suggestion Nigel.
    That product would appear to be recommended more for roof repairs, rather covering the whole roof as I intend.

I also found Flag Roofix, (available from the tool shop where the trains stop), which appears a better product (from what's written), though again I'm not sure how it would fare over a whole roof coverage.

Nothing to choose between the two (Roofite and Roofix) on price. £200 ish.

EPDM Rubber + adhesive comes to £270. Will that give a longer lasting trouble free roof? I think so, and 'only' £70 more.

9. Combo

Combo Member

Update:
    Investigated the state of the roof ( & walls) at the weekend. The roof is in a much worse state than I'd thought, and the walls are also rotten in several places below the holes in the roof.

Final decision is that I'm going to scrap it -but thanks to everyone for their helpful suggestions.