Best way to seal knots

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by RolandK, Jun 17, 2021.

1. RolandK

RolandK Screwfix Select

Just about to start some painting with a coat of Zinsser Bullseye 123 as a primer over old oil based paint but there are a few knots present here and there that have bled slightly through the existing paint. Will the Bullseye seal these ok? I suspect the BIN would be better but I would need to buy a tin just to do a few knots which I will if I really have to! Any advice gratefully received.
    Ta.

2. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Better to go with Z Bin, can prime and seal knots and aid adhesion between old gloss and new paint (water based perhaps ?) - all in one hit and save the 123 for another job

Could end up with a lovely paint job and then the knots gradually start to reappear through the 123 and your subsequent choice of undercoat and topcoat

That would be annoying really, for the sake of a tin of BIN and change of plan

3. RolandK

RolandK Screwfix Select

Yeah, I might as well use the BIN if I'm buying it anyway and stash the Bullseye as you say. Going to try the Bedec Aqua Advanced primer/undercoat and satin to finish off on Astra's advice so looking forward to seeing how that turns out. I have high expectations!
    Cheers

4. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Buy a rattle can of BIN. Warm it in hot water and spray over. I'd do most of or all the woodwork. So quick to do with rattle can. I can undercoat a room in 5 mins and great finish.
    Give it a couple of hours and apply you 123.

No the BS123 won't hold knots back.

RolandK and Astramax like this.
  5. RolandK

RolandK Screwfix Select

Good tip, thanks for that. I'll spray the BIN where there are knots then go over the whole lot with the Bullseye ready for undercoat and topcoat.

Wayners and Astramax like this.