Best way to self level garage floor.

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by George Power Finch, Feb 16, 2021.

1. George Power Finch

George Power Finch New Member

Hi all,

I'm turning my garage into an office so will be adding stud wall, insulation etc....

I want to self level the floor but its incredibly dirty even after jet washing and quite uneven (both chips and raised bumps in the concrete with quite a few cracks as you can see). What is the best way of going about it? Also would I need to put down some sort of membrane first? Or will priming the floor then self levelling be sufficient?

Cheers.
    Screenshot 2021-02-16 at 16.17.13.png Screenshot 2021-02-16 at 16.17.20.png Screenshot 2021-02-16 at 16.17.27.png

2. John9857

John9857 Member

Hi there, I would first use a filler for them craic, then a floor screed product, a non-cement-based product that won't cause shrinkage cracking. The high compressive and flexural strengths of floor screed can be put in at a min of 30mm. Place the insulation on a clean even bed to prevent movement. I recommend a 5-10mm polyethylene foam expansion strip to the full depth of the floor screed around the walls. Lay a polythene over insulation. use single wound polythene and 50mm packing tape. It is critical to ensure the floor is completely sealed.