Best Websites for Not Overly Expensive Door Furniture

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by dt88, Apr 2, 2020.

1. dt88

dt88 New Member

Hi guys,

I'm not sure how popular the Screwfix forum is with carpenters but I'm looking for some advise as to where to buy some door furniture.

I've found some decent doors to buy from homebase, I've got the tools and try my hand at installing some new internal (hollow) doors along with hinges, barrels and handles.

Trouble is, what I've been quoted on IronMongeryDirect comes to nearly £200, and thats without the doors included.

Are there any recommendations where I can get some decent but more modestly prices parts from?
    The handles I've got some far at 9.50 exVAT.

Thanks.

2. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

You don't say how many doors that cost covers.

You will generally find that you get what you pay for with door furniture and in my experience Ironmongery Direct prices aren't bad on some things. It's hard to tell on a website how a door handle feels - they can look good in the pictures but when you get to them the castings can be a little rough, the backplates can be thin allowing the handles to flex when in use and the screws are economy grade at best.

With hollow doors it can be quite easy for the door furniture to cost more than the door (if the furniture is anywhere near decent) and this is a common misconception on the part of clients.

You have the best resource available to check prices and reviews - more internet research ahead but buying online is not without it's risks in this instance.

Good luck.

3. mitefix

mitefix Active Member

Unless I am fitting a expensive door that needs a good quality handle/barrell

I would just pick up local for a run of the mill handle £10/£16 (Screwfix) for a cheapish door.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2020
  4. dt88

dt88 New Member

Thanks guys for the quick response.

I'm planning on replacing 5 doors in total.

4 doors are 1381mm x 688mm, 4 panel hollow core grained, from TP.

1 door is approx 1170mm x 760mm (small I know, for the pantry area), from TP.

The handles are 'Touchpoint Ancona Door Handle - Latch Set - Polished Chrome' from IronMongeryDirect.

The latches are 'Twin Ball Bearing Hinge - 75 x 50 x 2mm - Polished Stainless Steel' also from IM Direct.

I had my downstairs doors replaced about 1 year ago with the same fittings - can recommend them as the finish is very good, the handles don't stick and the hinges haven't 'bled' or leaked.

5. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

I’m assuming you mean 1981x688 otherwise you must be a borrower? o_O

6. dt88

dt88 New Member

Haha, yeap you're right, 1981x688's is what I meant!

7. I-Man

I-Man Screwfix Select

handle packs from Wickes are'nt bad value, and pretty good quality - include latches, handles & hinges (although worth upgrading to ball bearing hinges)

8. BillyBobToo

BillyBobToo Active Member

I am sure that @dt88 has sorted it out after more than a year.